We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa on arrival and departure

australia
visa on arrival and departure

hi everyone, before battling left she told me to get US dollars to pay visa on arrival .....as usual i forgot all about it ....can i pay in aussie dollars when we get there and what amount do we have to pay to depart country...there are 6 of us in total....thanks

kylie

melbourne
1. Re: visa on arrival and departure

hi dont pay in aussie dollars it totally confuses everyone,i recommend 25us in each passport, as for leaving i cant tell you now much it is these days ask at reception in you hotel and just put aside sraight away just in case you spend it :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
reviews: 217
2. Re: visa on arrival and departure

take the exact amount in US$. there has been some schemes by the locals when you use another currency. they convert your money at 'their own rate' and then try giving you a lot of small rupiah notes and it is not correct. people have been getting ripped off to say the least. if you havent got your $US from the bank grab some at the airport. banks often have US currency in their safe and you don't have to order it. the departure tax is 150 000rp. you pay it after you check in when you go upstairs.

3. Re: visa on arrival and departure

Hi Everyone.

Just a quick question. We leave for Bali on Sunday, and as a family of four is it ok to have the 4 X $25US as a $100US note. You know what i mean.

Thanks in advance

Col

Australia
Destination Expert
4. Re: visa on arrival and departure

hi Delica that would be fine.

Newcastle, NSW
reviews: 7
5. Re: visa on arrival and departure

Hello mixture

Some people have paid their Visa on Arrival in Bali in Australian Dollars but pay the US$ rate on that day. If the guidelines say US$ stick to that as it is much easier and you don't have to worry about conversion rates and you will get through the line quicker. We have always bought our US$ in advance and keep it with our passports ready to go.

As for your Departure Tax from Bali, it is 150,000Rp per person and payable at the airport at the first checkpoint upstairs after you have checked-in.

As a rule, on our first money change in Bali, we get some extra cashed to put our 150,000Rp ea away with our passports. That way you are at least assured of having your Departure Tax organised.

Have a great trip.

australia
6. Re: visa on arrival and departure

thankyou everyone...i will definateley get money before we leave...

kylie

Australia
7. Re: visa on arrival and departure

Col,

It won't matter at all... $100 note is probably easier to keep track of..

Hope you enjoy Bali. I've only just returned and fell in love with the place.....

Happy travelling

Cheers

Flick

Delhi
reviews: 29
8. Re: visa on arrival and departure

Just One question here..If I pay them in USD ( say 100 USD for 2 passports) Do they return the balance in USD or some other currency say IDR ?

Australia
9. Re: visa on arrival and departure

Hi Bonhomi,

As there were only my hubby and I travelling I handed over $US50 and it was all done in less than a minute but as we were standing in line waiting to go thru customs I was watching the little booth where they issue the VOA and I did see them handing out change in IDR...

Hope this helps..

Happy Travelling

Cheers

Flick

Australia
Destination Expert
10. Re: visa on arrival and departure

bonhomi if you hand over $100US INSIST you get your change in $US. otherwise they will convert the change to rupiah at their own rate and you will not end up getting back $50US. try and get a $50US note as change so you can then exchange it in bali. if you get smaller notes the exchange rate is LESS.