We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

Which Lhasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Temple
reviews: 1
Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

I need some help...

I am working with a Tibet Travel agency on a tour for May. I ran my flight plans by them before I purchased my tickets. I have gotten my Chinese Visa and have submitted all scanned copies and documents as requested. I get an e-mail today asking for the address of my hotel in Beijing. Well, this is a ticket that goes from Boston to Frankfurt to Beijing to Lhasa, and they have known this from the start. I realize now that you have to have the permit to get on a plane to Tibet and, for some reason, they can't mail it to the USA.

The tour company is now suggesting I need to get a hotel in Beijing so there is a place they can send the permit. I have a 2 hour, 25 minute layover in Beijing. They are saying they can't have their agent meet me at the airport since their agent doesn't speak English.

My questions are...

1. Is there a way that I have the permit sent to a Beijing address and have an English speaking person meet me at the Beijing Airport for a fee? If so does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Is there a hotel in the Beijing Airport, where I can book a room so I can have the Tibet Travel Permit sent there and still make my connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise it looks like I will have to stay overnight in Beijing, eat this non-refundable ticket and buy a ticket from Beijing to Lhasa.

Thanks, Robert

Forgive me, but I have also posted this in the Beijing forum hoping someone may have the answer

8 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
reviews: 13
1. Re: Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

"They are saying they can't have their agent meet me at the airport since their agent doesn't speak English."

That's Chinese for: "This sounds way to complicated for us and we don`t want to think about how to arrange". So you have to think for them now and say "Hey guys! Just let him wait for me in the arrival hall with a sign with my name on it. An please also give me a Chinese number that I can call in case I have any questions if I meet him. As said: I will pay for it! What is your price?". Negotiate a bit if the fee is too high and off you go.

Chinese style of doing business ;-)

beijing
reviews: 5
2. Re: Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

Yep, what laowai said. For the benefit of others who may read this, don't do the same thing as this OP did, there's too many things that could go wrong. For instance, what happens if the FRA-PEK flight is way late into Beijing? Far better to plan a day/overnight in Beijing or whatever Chinese city you want, to give a larger window of opportunity to do the Permit handover.

Melbourne
reviews: 47
3. Re: Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

Hey there,

I did a fantastic trip with Budget Tibet Tours about 6mths ago. They emailed me a scanned copy of the permits and I had to print 2 copies out - one for the Xining end (or in your case, Beijing), and one for the Lhasa end. From what I understand, the original has to be kept by the tour guide who produces it on demand to the authorities. This train trip is incredible so don't miss it, but we spent a couple of days in Beijing to do a few things we missed last time.

May I suggest you spend 2 sleeps in Xining on the way to assist with acclimatization? Made a huge difference for us. We slept like babies by the time we got to EBC :)

Also, re your train tickets, we were given a booking reference number and we showed our passports and reference number at the ticket desk at the station and they printed them. No hassle. Last time we were in China we went via someone else and had this whole rigmarole of getting the tickets delivered, but it is not required. Ask them to email a scanned copy of the documents and also give you the booking reference number for the train booking and you do the rest.

Hope that helps! You're going to love Tibet!

Nicole

Holland
4. Re: Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

If you don`t go by train but fly to Lhasa, you need the original permit. Otherwise you can`t board the plane. For flying a printed copy of the permit is not enough! So the travel agency has to sent the original permit by mail to your hotel in China.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 2
5. Re: Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

Hi Robert,

it's definitely can be done since we did it before many times. Once you arrive at Beijing airport, you will get to the exit and meet the tour guide who is assigned to bring original Tibet permit to you. both of you know what terminal it is . most likely it is terminal 3. The guide should speak English, and you should have the guide's cell number with you. it is easier to make a phone call at Beijing airport. You may ask Information Center to help you.

Tselo

lhasa
6. Re: Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

hello dear .. if you want to know the correct answer of how to get origial tibet permit to deliver to beijing airports and how to get in tibet and how to get the most of your tour service by local own.. even i am tibetan-english-speaking guide more than 10 years expereince.. well known about how to take care of the guests specially at high altitude sickness and so on ,, please don't worry.. contact.. dhondrup7777@yahoo.com.. from Dhondrup-Jack ..see you at lhasa.. best wishes

Temple
7. Re: Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. I was able to change my arrival flight to the day before and the tour company is discounting the overnight hotel cost off the tour price. The change fees were reasonable since the new flights go through Toronto and the taxes were less. This will give a us a nice rest on the way to Lhasa. Hopefully we will be able to acclimate OK the first few days we are in Lhasa. When we leave, we will be taking the train down to Xining and then we fly to Shanghai. This should work fine as long as the permit is there waiting for us. Again, thanks for all the help.

Robert

Rocklin, California
reviews: 21
8. Re: Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)

Tselo.....you mentioned in your above post that you have done this many times...do you mind sharing which tour guide or agency you used for your trips to Tibet?

Reply to: Tibet Travel Permit delivered to the Beijing Airport (PEK)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted