We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel companions to Tibet

Which Lhasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 2
Travel companions to Tibet

Hi, I'm a female from Malaysia looking for travel companions to Tibet from 21/6 to 9/7 (inclusive travelling time to Chengdu), entering Lhasa from Chengdu.

I am told we need 4 people to a 4WD, so am looking for people to travel together. Please let me know.

Thanks heaps.

Raub, Malaysia
1. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

Hi we are planing to Tibet too, our group consists of 12 person.We will be travelling to Tibet next year end of May. We wish you good luck.

Penang Island...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

Hi just got the latest info from the agent in Tibet,that you need to travel with people that is from the same country..if not, not possible to get the permit..,so you have to look for Malaysian too.

Good Luck!!

Bluedress

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
3. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

To be at least 3 people with same nationality is restriction for the moment, but in practice, some competent travel companies will have their own way to get through.

Edited: 10:37 am, May 06, 2012
4. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

We are 2 Canadians trying to join others May 17 - 20. We heard that you need a minimum of 4 with same nationality. If practice is different from regulation theory, then please advise how and who might help us obtain permit. We will be travelling direct from Xian.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
5. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

Situation is just upgraded a couple of days ago. It is to be at least four people now.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 6
6. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

Anyone has any clue of how long this regulation will last??? i´m truly heart broken because of this, i had everything arranged to join a tour and now it turns out to be that i need another 3 mexicans to join my tour in order for me to get the permit........i am supposed to board the train next Friday May 18... i was even successful to buy the tickets myself......

7. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:46 am, May 08, 2012
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
8. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

Situation won't get better at least in whole May. If still not better after May. It will remain the same the whole year till Dec when the national congresses are closed. It is also possible that this regulation goes on for longer time, maybe many years. No body could guarantee. If every body takes Tibet as a natural part of China. Never there will be tourism limitation to foreign visitors.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 6
9. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

They just couldn´t make things any more difficult

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
10. Re: Travel companions to Tibet

Sure they can (make things any more difficult). They can close Tibet to foreigners altogether and then no one would be able to go. In China people find out quickly that there are official rules and then there are unofficial "ways".