We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To apply for Chinese visa for Tibet

New York City, New...
To apply for Chinese visa for Tibet

My tour agency is saying that I need to buy temporary flights to apply for my Chinese visas.

Also not to mention tibet at all.

Then once I have the visas cancel my 'temporary' flights.

Basically lying to get my visas b/c the chinese consulate won't grant me them if I am planning to go to tibet.

Is this all true and valid? Has anyone else had trouble getting visas if the consulate knows you're planning to head to Tibet?

Shanghai, China
reviews: 13
1. Re: To apply for Chinese visa for Tibet

Welcome to this forum. Read this here. Hope it helps: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c187076/China…

And you don't cancel your flights for your Chinese visa. You need them as a proof when you enter and exit the country.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 6
2. Re: To apply for Chinese visa for Tibet

I recently got a Chinese visa (from the Chinese embassy in Washington DC) and hope to visit central Tibet in August. So far this year, entry into Lhasa seems much easier to get than last year. You'll need only to book your entry and exit flights into Beijing (or wherever you you first plan to enter China) and as laowai88 says, these are not temporary flights to be cancelled. Your travel agency will provide you with an invitation letter that will NOT mention your Tibet plans, which you'll need to send in to the Chinese embassy (or present in person) along with copies of your entry and exit plane tickets, and passport. I think I also sent in a copy of the hotel reservation that I booked for the first night in China. Your agency will book your flight/or train to Lhasa (after you have your Chinese visa) and arrange for your TAR entry permit (they will apply for it 20 days before you plan to enter Lhasa) and then deliver it to your hotel in Beijing (Chengdu or Xining, wherever you plan to stay). Good luck!

Aigues-Mortes...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
reviews: 74
3. Re: To apply for Chinese visa for Tibet

I generally gave my documents and asked the agent to buy the tickets for me. So, they could enter the dates as per the plan. I generally give them the plans and they will arrange the flights, visas and permits for me. If you have bought the tickets already then ask your agent to use them, not to use fake ones!

Good Luck!

New York City, New...
4. Re: To apply for Chinese visa for Tibet

Thanks for all the replies.

Its relieving to hear from some other travelers.

So I have a issue that the flights I've booked are multi-destination tickets.

Which are listed on my itinerary as so. Including flights to and from tibet.

Is there any way to isolate the ticket information to only my flight in and out of Beijing? which I could show the consulate?

If not, in the event I booked temporary tickets would that flight information be attached to my visa?

Lastly, I imagine the most logical way would be to purchase in and out tickets separate to my inter-city flights in china. But I imagine this to be quite more costly.

Thanks for all your advice and information. It's greatly appreciated.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 6
5. Re: To apply for Chinese visa for Tibet

mt

The only part of your multi-destination ticket that would be problematic is any flight to or from Lhasa (LXA)--no problem with domestic flights to Chengdu and Xining. You cannot board the flight to Lhasa without a TAR permit, which your travel agency will get for you and deliver to you before you board your flight. Your agency cannot get you a TAR permit until you mail them a copy of your chinese visa. It's unlikely that you would get a Chinese visa if you submit copies of airline tickets that include Lhasa flights. So, you need to see if you can get the Lhasa flight/s deleted (and have your travel agent rebook it for you).. Once again-good luck!

6. Re: To apply for Chinese visa for Tibet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 27, 2014