We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour, personal driver or taxi?

Which Nanjing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 263
Tour, personal driver or taxi?

I'll be in Shanghai in April and plan on doing a day trip to Nanjing.

I have not done too much research but plan on seeing a few sites. Should I book a tour?, find a personal driver or just get a taxi between the sites we want to see.

Taking the metro is also an option.

I should note that I will be travelling with my parents, who are still active and are both native Mandarin speakers.

Nanjing, China
1. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

I'm not an expert in Nanjing's sites, but, especially considering you have language skills in your party, I suggest you either take taxi's (your hoel should be able to recommend sites and of course there is lots of information on the web) or hire a car and driver (around 600 rmb per day).

I car and driver would certainly be the most convenient and relaxing option. Again, one you've booked your hotel they can probably suggest a car service - they may even be able to arrange this for you (although they might be more expensive, but also more reliable).

Hope you enjoy Nanjing!

Toronto
2. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

I don't plan on staying overnight in Nanjing.

Our plan is to take an early fast train from Shanghai and then return in the evening.

I'm starting to think it might be easier to just get a metered taxi between the sites especially since my parents speak the language.

Does anyone by chance know how often the fast trains depart from Shanghai?

Edited: 8:30 pm, February 27, 2013
Nanjing, China
3. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

Trains run about every hour. Also, although you are tending toward a taxi, just so you know, my estimate on a hired car was too low, its probably closer to 900 rmb.

Toronto
4. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

900rmb sounds like quite a bit much. Probably best if just cabbed it from each individual location.

I imagine a metered taxi won't be that expensive

Hobart, Australia
reviews: 261
5. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

Trains run every hour between Shanghai and Nanjing. There is a taxi stand at the Nanjing railway station (cheaper than using the touts that frequent the station). Given that people in your travel group have Mandarin skills and depending on which sites you are wanting to see and how much time you have you may be able to negotiate with the taxi driver to use him/her exclusively for the day. Think this would be cheaper than hiring a private car and driver.

Many of the major sites are within a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic conditions.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 624
6. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

The train is not every hour, more like every 10 minutes most of the day. Check the schedule on cnvol.com.

Subway is probably best supplemented by taxis when the subway is not right next to the attraction.

singapore
7. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

I plan to tour Nanjing and Huangshan for 7 days with my family of 8 (4 adults 4 small children). Best if I can have a personal driver. Pls recommend a reliable driver with a van.

Nanjing, China
8. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

I can recommend a reliable driver and a van. You can email sabrina6556@sina.com, The fee is about 500 to 600rmb for economical type, 800 to 900rmb for other better brand.

Another option for you is to visit www.eastchinaguide.com

Mumbai...
9. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

Hello Sabrina,

Me too visiting Nanjing for a day in Dec,let me know if you can provide some discount during off season in Nanjing for car rental.Currently got offer for santana for 380y/day.Looking forward for your feedback.

Thanks

Troy, Michigan
reviews: 4
10. Re: Tour, personal driver or taxi?

We are visiting Nanjing in Oct., need reliable/affordable driver.

Apprecaited any info.