We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

Which Nanjing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
reviews: 242
Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

I will be arriving at Shanghai Pudong Airport at 0555 from Australia and need to get to Nanjing. I am travelling solo and will have 2 suitcases plus cabin baggage. Can anyone advise me what options are available?? I cannot carry my bags so am thinking that a taxi or chaufeur driven car might be my best option? Any idea of costs or who to contact?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
reviews: 91
1. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

I would suspect you will pay upwards of USD$200-$300 for a hired car to Nanjing, maybe half again as much as you paid to get to Shanghai.

Since there is a connection later in the day from AUS to a non-stop flight PVG-NKG, I am a bit baffled why those flights were not arranged.

MU 2882 PVG 9:30PM NKG 10:30PM 1h 0m

Shanghai, China
reviews: 13
2. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

Some years ago going rate to Nanjing was ard. 1000 RMB. Kind of "exploiting" your situation that you arrived after a tiring flight I guess you would be quoted ard 2000 at PVG and you could negotiate down to 1500 (make sure all toll fees etc are included). Just find yourself a quiet corner as you are outside the arrival hall and take 5 min to calm down and get an overview about your environment. Have a look at all the counters instead of rushing to the first once. That's what I always do in such situations. You been on a flight for 12 hours, so 5 min do not matter at all. Then go to one of the counters saying "taxi service" or "limousine service". Do NOT engage with the guys approaching you with "need taxi? where are you going?" or anyone in an official uniform. Usually these are touts. At the counters you at least have a minimum of security as they will still be there tomorrow while the "nice guy in his official uniform" might not.

According to my understanding 0555h means 5.55 am. As there is only one flight per day PVG-NKG leaving 2130h that would mean a 15h layover for a 1h flight. That does not make sense at all. So 1500 RMB surely is a much better deal that handling all your luggage to the Maglev, metro, train station, taxi etc. just to save some money or wait a whole day at PVG.

Hobart, Australia
3. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

laowai88 when you say go to the counters do you mean that there are car hire/taxi/limo service counters in the arrivals hall? I am more than happy to take some minutes to find the right place! As you say after 12+ hours flying whats a few minutes. Also I cannot physically carry all my luggage to transfer via buses, trains, taxis etc. Would appreciate any extra info you might have especiallly if you know of a reputalbe company to go with - thanks in advcance :)

SoBeSparky - I would have a 15 hour wait for the Nanjing flight and in addition to the ticket price would be hit with excess luggage. My included luggage allowance from Australia is 2x 23kg suitcases plus cabin baggage hence why I chose the flight. Internal flights do not offer this and I figure the cost would be prohibitive. Hence looking for a stress free transfer arrangment :)

Shanghai, China
4. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

There are several counters offering taxi services as you leave the arrival hall. I would not know which one is the most reputable but you should not worry about security issues - just don't follow anyone approaching you. So choose your counter and negotiate the price. I would say 1500 RMB is a good price for one-way to Nanjing. Again: Make sure all toll charges etc. are included and give the money to the driver after you arrived safely . Get the money in cash from an ATM as you will not be able to use your credit card. Have the address of your hotel ready in Chinese and their phone number for the driver to get directions.

Hobart, Australia
5. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

Thanks Laowai88 your advice has been really useful :)

Shanghai, China
6. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

No prob. Hope all works out for you and you reach Nanjing without stress. Have a good trip and maybe post your experience and the actual price you paid once back for other travelers.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 167
7. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

It seems to me you are going there to work, with all that luggage, so why isn't your employer arranging a meeting service at PVG?

Hobart, Australia
8. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

Yes Zhuhai2007 I am going there for work and have to say I am disappointed my employer is not providing pick-up and transfer or at least offering to assist me in any way. Their response to my query was to get a shuttle bus to the train station and then get the G train to Nanjing then a taxi to the University!!! Virtually impossible for me to achieve travelling solo with all my luggage.

Will be something that I consider when looking at jobs in the future - gives you a negative impression of the value they place on you as an employee.

Hobart, Australia
9. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

FYI .......I did secure the use of a private car and driver who took me and my luggage safely to Nanjing from Pudong airport for 1300RMB inclusive of all toll fees etc. Luckily this was not my first trip to China and I am not bad at negotiating!!!

Employers - I suggest it would be in your best interests to provide initial transport for your new employees. Having spoken to a number of expat workers now word is getting around as to who appreciates their employees and who doesn't - seems this is one point that is being used as a benchmark on this

10. Re: Shanghai to Nanjing one way transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 06, 2014