We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

Which Nanjing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 79
Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

We're planning on going to Nanjing for a day from Shanghai, not staying overnight.

We're most interested in seeing the Massacre Memorial. Wondering if we also have time to see the Ming tombs at Purple Mountain. How to get between the two sites, etc? Is there anywhere we could have lunch around either of those places?

Our hotel is arranging the train tickets for us and gave us a return time of 7pm. We would probably leave Shanghai at 8am taking the fast train.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 551
1. Re: Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

Ys you can do both in a day. The subway is pretty good in Nanjing but you will save time by taking a cheap taxi.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 43
2. Re: Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

I haven't been to the Ming tombs in Purple mountain, hope to visit when the weather is cooler. :)

As for the Massacre Memorial, it took me around 2-3 hours from start to finish. There's really lots of photos and exhibits on display.

3. Re: Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, May 18, 2012
Hong Kong
reviews: 103
4. Re: Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

There is an Italian cafe at the entrance to the Ming tombs with outdoor seating. Otherwise, it's the typical Chinese fare - cucumbers, bland-tasting corn, and cup noodles.

Beijing, China
5. Re: Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

Yes, you can do both sites in one day! As for the food, you can find some options out the tombs.

China
6. Re: Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

i come late. where are your guys now?

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 123
7. Re: Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

Hi! I'm thinking of taking the bullet train from shanghai and visiting Massacre Memorial and the Ming tombs at Purple Mountain in a day. How do I get to the memorial and sites from the train station? Can I just get around by taxis?

Hobart, Australia
reviews: 251
8. Re: Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

You can get a taxi form the Nanjing Railway station directly to the Massacre Museum. Use the taxi stand (not the touts who will try and grab you before you get to the stand) as this is the cheaper option. The museum will take you 2-3 hours to see everything - its very worthwhile and emotionally moving.

From there you can hail a taxi to take you the the Ming Tombs. I would allow a similar time period for this visit.

9. Re: Daytrip - Memorial and tombs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 06, 2014