We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 12
Trip report

Hi

Just got back this weekend from a 4 night stay in Hong Kong

Hotel : YMCA Salisbury

What a great hotel (and it is a hotel), we had a harbour view room and it was a fantastic view on Hong Kong Island.

Travel : Oystercard and taxis

We caught a Taxi from and to the airport as there was 3 of us and it worked out not much more expensive.

The Oystercard was brilliant we saw many people struggling with change and also as our mother was over 65 she got reduced charges which made the card very econimical.

Trips : Disney HK and Ngong Ping 360 to The Big Budda in one day

This was very easy to do as we went on a weekday so it wasnt too busy, no queuing Disney at all and on the cable car we were able to get a car to ourselves it was a total fantastic experience as well.

Dolphin Watch and Victoria Peak

The Dolphin watch was really good they do not get too close to the Dolphins and dont chase them at all a very responible organisation.

Victoria Peak was by bus to the top and rail back. The Anvil is now open and the view was fantastic (not too hazy) lunch at Bubba Gumps, I cant resist this place and the view was out of this world.

Stanley Market and Dinner cruise

By bus to Stanley a lovely trip along the coast to the market, the market was OK we got there early so not too bad crowd wise, when we left it was very busy though.

Dinner cruise to a Fishing community just along from Hong Kong

harbour food was very nice and the trip was very pleasant along the harbour route.

We really enjoyed our trip and will be back again one day

I any one wants any info please just ask

Nikki

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Trip report

Hi Trip sounds great, will be in Hong Kong over Christmas, doing Disney first (20th) and hoping to fit everything else in before leaving on 28th. Wondered did you book trips before leaving home or when you arrived? Dolphin trip sounds like something my daughter would love any more info on that would be great (was it in a big boat not a good sailor myself) Thanks

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
2. Re: Trip report

Hi Nikki,

I think you got your sea creatures confused, it's the Octopus Card in HK. I guess you're from London which didn't get it's Oyster until ten years after HK got it's Octopus.

I think the Peak Tower is a big improvement since it's renovation and agree the views from the viewing platform are superb. However I don't have a head for heights and found the escalator ride up there a little scary in places. I wasn't the only one, a German in front of us was unable to be persuaded to take the ride back down so whether he's still there or had to be sedated to get down I don't know but hopefully they'll have finished installing the lift soon.

Regards

Ian

London, United...
3. Re: Trip report

Hi Lovehotels

I booked the Disney tickets online there a 2 types of ticket guaranteed entry and just a day ticket with no guarantee I was unable to get the guaranteed ticket and I think you will be going peak time so you may not be able to either My recommedation is to get there at opening to make sure you get in and anyway it was quite empty then so you will get to see more.

Ngong ping was bought on the day

the dinner cruise was book with Viator before.

As for the Dolphin trip I contacted the company to book and although they wanted payment in advance it was not possible from the UK so they allowed me to pay on the day which was great, the boat was not big and there was a downstairs which was inside and a top deck which was open the water was very calm. It is only a morning cruise so not too long on the boat.

Have a great time

London, United...
4. Re: Trip report

Hi Solenttraveller

What a twit of course it is Octopus, I must have been home too long already !!!

My mum in law freaked a bit as well but the view is really worth it isnt it?

We went about 16.00 so got daylight pictures and waited until dark and got the night ones as well (this tip was on this wonderful site thank you to the person who posted it)

5. Re: Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 20, 2009