We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend will be visiting HK from July 18 - 22 and would really appreciate your help with our itinerary and some questions.

Day 1:

Arrival 7:40 am Hong Kong Airport. Bus to hotel @ TST

ETA @ TST 9:30 am. Leave bags at hotel (too early for check in)?

TST Promenade/Avenue of the Stars

Victoria Harbour/Star Ferry

Shopping around TST or Causeway Bay

Day 2:

Macau Day Trip

Day 3:

Ngong Ping 360+Big Buddha

Free Time (suggestions?)

Symphony of Lights 8 PM

Day 4:

Ocean Park

Day 5:

Victoria Peak/Peak Tram

Wax Museum (maybe?)

Back to hotel to grab bags and check out

Travel to the airport

Departure 6 PM

1. One worry I have is if we have enough time to do Victoria Peak/Peak Tram and maybe the Wax Museum on Day 5? Our flight out is at 6 PM. If not, when would you recommend that we do Victoria Peak?

2. What is the earliest ferry from TST to Macau? Latest from Macau to TST?

3. Are there any activities that you can suggest we squeeze in during our visit to HK?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

14 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
1. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

1. no worries. You can go after breakfast.

2. Turbojet has ferries from 7am: turbojet.com.hk/en/routing-sailing-schedule/…

3. maybe check the "top questions about hong kong - must see..."

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 1
2. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

Day 3:

Cable car to Ngong Ping, visit Big Buddha and the monastery, maybe walk out to the Wisdom Path. Take a bus down to Tai O (hourly at :20), walk around there, take a bus to Mui Wo (check schedules http://www.newlantaobus.com/road_1.htm) to catch an ordinary ferry (check schedules td.gov.hk/en/…o02 - bus takes about 45 mins to get to Mui Wo pier) back to Central and you'll be full for the day. A very nice trip. Do take an ordinary ferry as they have outdoor decks, a fast ferry is just an efficient way of getting to the other side but you can't see much through those fogged up windows.

Day 6 should be fine assuming you leave early.

Turbojet Macau-Kowloon schedule: turbojet.com.hk/en/routing-sailing-schedule/…

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 3
3. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

You have quite a bit of time on Day 1. If you move the Peak's visit to Day 1, then you can free up yourself on Day 5 to do something else. (Unless you planned to spend lots of time shopping, shopping, and did I mention shopping.)

Day 5 suggestions - such as visit Chi Lin Nunnery, Nan Lian Garden, 10000 Buddhas Monastery in Sha Tin, some of Mong Kok's Markets, etc..

Hong Kong, China
4. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

Mongkok's markets are best afternoon/evening as they open only late morning, and only in the afternoon the crowds get thick, which is a major part of their draw.

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

@wvmarle

Day 3 suggestions sound great, especially the part about taking a ferry back to Central. A quick question though, are there any strict dress codes for going around the Po Lin monastery? I imagine it would be pretty hot especially in July so wouldn't want to be too covered up while travelling.

@HappyFeet1234

We'll do it early morning on Day 5 as a last resort then. Hopefully The Peak Tram is not too busy on Day 1 around lunch time.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
6. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

>> Hopefully The Peak Tram is not too busy on Day 1 around lunch time. <<

The Peak is typically not crowded in the morning until past lunch time. Visiting the Peak is weather dependent. If good weather on Day 1. Go. Don't wait. You never know when rain may come.

RE: Po Lin dress code...

Po Lin is used to having many visitors. Dress code shouldn't be a problem. Maybe just "respectful" casual. :)

Hong Kong, China
7. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

I am not aware of any dress code for this monastery, or any Buddhist monastery in Hong Kong for that matter.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,122
8. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

>>>Day 2: Macau Day Trip<<<

Macau Day Trip from HK (what you need to know)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Macau Day Trip (Macau Highlights – Day Trip)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g664891-d251…

New York City, New...
9. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

Hi.

For Day 1:

I suggest you see the Symphony of Lights, correct me if I'm wrong, but since your first day is a Friday, you can hear the English narration (which is broadcast on M-W-F only).

For Day 3:

wvmarle has some excellent suggestions. Or you could head to Citygate Mall located near the Ngong Ping 360 terminal in Tung Chung as it is extremely hot in the afternoon.

Then maybe head to Victoria Peak before sunset. The skyline looks great from up there, especially at night. The wax museum closes at 10pm, so you'll have time.

Day 5:

That is definitely doable. The wax museum opens at 10 am, so you'll have an hour to an hour and a half to enjoy the museum.

Turbojet: There is a 6 am ferry to Macau (but the fare is a night service fare, about HKD23 more than the weekend fare). Both Cotaijet and Turbojet start the day service from 7 am.

Latest ferry from Macau: There is a ferry back to Hong Kong at least every hour after midnight (until 6:30 am). turbojet.com.hk/en/routing-sailing-schedule/…

3. I agree with HappyFeet's suggestion: Chi Lin Nunnery and Nan Lian Garden. They open very early - 7 am, I think.

Lan Kwai Fong - if you are up for a late night bar hopping, supposedly where you'll find lots of expats and tourists. I haven't been there since the last time I was in HK, I was still a minor.

Maybe take the Central to Mid-Levels escalator to Hollywood Road and check out Man Mo Temple? Or to SoHo (Soho?) for the restaurants, bars, galleries.

Edited: 4:08 pm, May 13, 2014
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
10. Re: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions

#9: the question was "2. What is the earliest ferry from TST to Macau? Latest from Macau to TST?".

From TST (Tsim Sha Tsui, which is on Kowloon), the first ferry is at 7:00 am, as stated by Cookie in #1. The latest ferry from Macau to TST is 22:30 (10:30 pm).

There is no "latest" or "earliest" ferry service from Sheung Wan to/from Macau because it is 24x7.

Reply to: HK itinerary (5D4N) and some questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted