We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
reviews: 20
Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

Hi,

I have booked The Kowloon Hotel for 3 nights checking in on the 4th Oct checking out on the 7th Oct, but i am having regrets my father in law has put doubt in my head. He said that we would get a nicer hotel for the same price if we stayed on hong Kong Island is this true? We got the hotel with breakfast for 3 nights for €410...... please be honest and let me know if he is right.

reviews: 98
1. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

The first week of October is peak season in Hong Kong with many tourists visiting from mainland China. I assume your quoted rate includes tax and service. If so, I think that rate is quite reasonable. The location of Kowloon Hotel is very good but its room size is smaller than average, reflecting the era when the hotel was built.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 87
2. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

I agree everything Teddy said... just want to add:

At this price, it MIGHT be possible to get a better hotel in terms of room size, and facilities, and decor.... but not the location. It really depends what you are looking for in the hotel....

At this price, it might be possible to try Renaissance Kowloon Hotel, Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel, and YMCA Salisbury which are all around the Kowloon Hotel area.

The reason Kowloon hotel might have higher prices during the first week of October is b/c it's China's main holiday for 7-10 days... and Kowloon hotel is one of the favorite hotels for China's mainlanders which MIGHT be a little concern to you if you hate crowds, and lining up for checking in and out.

The other hotels I mentioned here are less catered for mainland tourists.... you can try and compare.

But the price for kowloon hotel you are paying isn't TOO bad at all.

Cork, Ireland
3. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

Thanks for your help, although my mind is still not at ease. I don't know what to do i guess i will look again. If i don't loose a lot of money cancelling the Kowloon i think i will look somewhere else.

reviews: 98
4. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

My suggestion is to go to the hotel recommended by your father in law since he is the only person that you appear to trust, notwithstanding comments from members on this public forum, including a Local Expert. I don't understnad why you even bother to post the question if you have already made up your mind.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 87
5. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

I re-read your post, on HK island side, the "nicer" hotels are going to cost you more than 410 Euro including breakfast. I missed the 'HK island" part.

You can try: Excelsior, Metropark, Park Lane, Renaissance Harbourview.

The other "nicer" hotels are going to be out of your budget. These hotels above that I have listed are nicer in decor, and room size, but except for Excelsior, the location of Kowloon hotel will be better.

Good Luck.

(BTW, Kowloon hotel is a popular hotel for tourists to HK, it's not exactly a dump, and not everyone can afford it. So, don't worry TOO much.) You aren't going to be in your room alot I hope while touring in HK, just sleep, and shower, and out you go again!

Cork, Ireland
6. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

Katetam thanks your right we will only be there to sleep and shower and we will be out sightseeing most of the time. Your are very kind for helping mw with my decision i guess i panicked a bit.

Thanks once again

Chuckenpen

Southern Highlands...
reviews: 49
7. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

I stayed at the Kowloon Hotel this time last year and had no problems with it. I travel alot and am use to hotels. It doesn't have a great view from the room, but really how much time are you going to spend there? The rooms were clean and pleasant. The staff were friendly and the breakfast is good. I would however advise not to eat from the a la carte menu in their buffet resturant at night (just didn't think it was very good value) The hotel is in a good location. I can't comment on the price as it was pre arranged due to work.I would probably stay there again.

Cork, Ireland
8. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

Thank you Tams In Oz

Yes i reckon that too. Sure we are there to see the sights and what do we care about the hotel room size.

Thanks once again for your help and for easing my mind about the whole thing.

By the way have been to Sydney, i fell in love with the place it was great.

Southern Highlands...
reviews: 49
9. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

Happy to help you out. Hope you have a good trip.

10. Re: Having Doubts About Hotel I Booked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:39 pm, July 20, 2006