We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking ban in Hong Kong but nobody cares about?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ulm, Germany
reviews: 338
Smoking ban in Hong Kong but nobody cares about?

Is there really a smoking bad for inside rooms in Hong Kong?

We've been here in HK now for 3 nights out for dinner and bars and practically they smoke during dinner, they smoke in bars even if there are big signs outside.

I'm talking about one Chinese Restaurant in Aberdeen and today in several premises in Mong Kok anound the Dorsett, Rosedale, Seaview Hotel?

Is there anybody who cares? (the bars weren't those where beer is 20 HKD the big bottle but 50-70 HKD for a pint (or imported bottle)

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 156
11. Re: Smoking ban in Hong Kong but nobody cares about?

This is one of those very HK things where the surface appearance and the reality are very different.

The government likes to legislate things like smoking bans in restaurants, seat belt requirements on minibuses, minimum wage for foreign workers, theoretical copyright protection for movies, etc. etc. because then the government goes to various international fora and says "see how advanced we are? We have a law." And then in reality there is no energy and no resources devoted to enforcement, because "somebody" wouldn't like having the law enforced. So voila, you end up with the situation you describe. Smoking in bars/ restaurants is illegal but the law is flouted and the government does nothing. (A few 9-to-5 inspectors in a city like this are a joke......)

Of course, if I don't pay my taxes to this feckless and stupid administration, they will come down on me like a ton of bricks. And then the Department of "Justice" will decide what happens. Ha.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
12. Re: Smoking ban in Hong Kong but nobody cares about?

A lot of "laws" are difficult to enforce. I feel a lot has to do with the general public being educated so 1) owners/managers will request smokers to go outside and; 2) smokers will know to go outside automatcially. wanting to kick out smokers. In the US, for example, I doubt anyone will call the cops if I start smoking at a restaurant. However, the restaurant (or even the bar) will likely ask me to go smoke outside. Then I, as part of the considerate public, will go indeed go outside to annoy infuriating every non-smoker inside.

In HK (and many parts of Asia), there is still more learning and change that need to happen.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,124
13. Re: Smoking ban in Hong Kong but nobody cares about?

Nicely put, SammyFloyd.

14. Re: Smoking ban in Hong Kong but nobody cares about?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 21, 2014