We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 12
Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Previously have flown HKZ-BKK return using Air Asia and might again, but are there other airlines that in the same price range. Would appreciate any tips from TA members that have first hand experience.

I could buy a ticket YYZ - BKK for at most $200 more than YYZ - HKG. But my destination is CNX (Chiang Mai) and the connection does not sit well with me if added to the international ticket,as it arrives late at night in CNX and we will wind up with a hotel room that no body wanted. We will be there for 2 weeks.

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
1. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Hi,

Jetstar though long layover in S'pore.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
2. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Or Thai Smile from Macau to BKK,then to CNX.

E,g, TG751 (MFM to BKK), then TG114(1615hrs) /TG116(1830hrs)/ TG120(2000hrs)- BKK to CNX (denotes STA into CNX)

Though do not understand what you meant by arriving late into CNX and winding up in a hotel room that no body wants..plentiful of hotels in ChiangMai...Four Seasons for one(I do not mind that), and few of my favs- The Chedi, Bhodi Sense.

Beijing, China
reviews: 9
3. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Ooooh The Chedi is a wonderful hotel!!

I'm confused about your comment about hotel rooms too. Will you not pre-book your first night in Chiang Mai?

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 45
4. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Hi,

Your destination is CNX I'm not sure why you must stopover at HKG in the first place (I'm assuming price or direct flight for 1st leg).

If you can stopover at other locations consider flying to BKK/SIN/KUL and switch to budget airlines.

Alternative is do a YYZ-TPE and TPE-CNX. However you'll be met with the same problem of arriving CNX late.

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

We are spending 4 weeks in Chiang Mai. using two different places. We are seniors and budget travellers for 6 weeks in SE Asia and arriving before 6 pm ensures we are not stuck with the left over rooms. We know the rooms we want for the two weeks at each place in Chiang Mai. But we have to get there in time to secure them.

This whole confusion is because Air Asia will no longer use BKK. This means if we fly to BKK we will have to stop for the night, commute to DMK to fly to CNX. Not what I call a good start for seniors flying 25 hours to get to BKK. Instead if we flew from HKG to DMK we could take a flight from there to CNX..

The only other choice is to pay the extra $80 and fly Bangkok Airways to CNX. This may be the price to pay for the convenience of arriving before 6 pm and none the worse for wear and tear. Unfortunately an affordable YYZ-CNX ticket does not get us tho Chiang Mai before 6 pm

Thank you and sorry if we left you confused over our intentions.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Hi, thought if one guarantee the room with credit card, then hotel will hold the room until arrival,and will not release it at 6pm.

How does Thai Smile cf with Bangkok Airways and of course with AirAsia?

Guess you need to book early too to avail of PG's web saver fares.Similarly with AirAsia.

Good luck in your flight planning.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 45
7. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

I had a look at the available flights and agree that getting there before 6pm have very limited options.

Bangkok Airways should be ok.

mkiaratravel - I think Goodgenie4u doesn't want leftover rooms, they will get one - but a bad one. This happens in some budget lodgings in this region.

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Thanks mKiaratravel , for the Thai Smile suggestion. Must be a new venture. For the BKK - CNX flight, The Bangkok Airways web saver prices at the moment for Jan 2014 are THB 1000 less expensive than Thai Smile's lowest price. Air Asia is by far the lowest.

Unfortunately Air Asia flies from DMK and that is a show stopper, even if arrive at anytime of the day or night at BKK after flying for 25 hours YYZ-ORD-NRT-BKK This super hub routing is the least expensive for American, Japanese and sometimes other Asian and European airline and code share partners.

The best flight which also receives star Alliance loyalty miles credit is Air Canada & Thai Airways YYZ-HKG -BKK (20 hour's) Currently $500 per person more expensive. There might be a seat sale in the fall to reduce this to $250 more expensive, but may be through Beijing or Shanghai not HKG

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Thanks Luis_HK..... agree we are accustomed to living in simple, old, but equipped and cleaned daily hotels. We book them through the usual on line agencies. Yes to Bangkok Air also.

All depends on the long haul flight deal we are hoping for and the flight arrival time in BKK

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
10. Re: Low Cost Airline HKG - BKK

Hi again, so you are already confirmed on the YYZ-ORD-NRT-BKK route?

Yep, cost factor, otherwise, best to reduce layover ORD direct to HKG on CX.

Or ORD direct to KUL,then AirAsia to CNX.