We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
reviews: 12
Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

Hello,

Please let me know the following:

If I stay in Hong Kong center(let's say somewhere near Central station etc for abour 120 usd per night you advise) I I would like to visit this monastery

1. Po Lin - what is the fastest and convenient way to reach it?

2. how much time should I allocate ?

3. Is there a way to reach it from the HK airport too?

I will be in HK at 17.25 - so it is evening and will be visiting the temple Buddha in the morning.

My outbound flight will be at 1.pm at the same night

Wellington
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 6
1. Re: Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

Taxi from airport is quickest as it's quite close to the airport.Otherwise take the MTR to Tung Chung Station and taxi from there. You could catch a bus but you wanted speed.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 171
2. Re: Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

If you have luggage it might be worth taking the Airport Express back to the airport early and then taxi or S1shuttle bus to Tung Chung to take the Nong Ping Cable Car. You'd need to be there by about 9:45 to beat the queues.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 3
3. Re: Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

Are you going to have luggage with you this time? Because that would affect how you visit Po Lin. Assuming no luggage:

>> . Po Lin - what is the fastest and convenient way to reach it? <<

From Hong Kong, around Central area, go to Hong Kong Station. Take the Tung Chung Line to Tung Chung (the end point). From there you hare 3 choices:

#1) Take Ngong Ping 360 - a cable car. Ride up to Ngong Ping.

#2) Take Lantao Bus #23. Also go to Ngong Ping, same destination as the cable car. That's where Po Lin and the Giant Buddha are.

#3) Take blue taxi.

>> 2. how much time should I allocate ? <<

There are times where the queue for cable car is long. Generally from Central, to Tung Chung, up to Po Lin, back down to Tung Chung, maybe 6 to 7 hours.

>> 3. Is there a way to reach it from the HK airport too? <<

If you are thinking of reaching Po Lin from HKIA, take a taxi as GS suggested. If you are thinking of riding the cable car, then you can take a taxi or S1 bus to Tung Chung (only about 5 km away). From there take the cable car.

= = = = =

Note: Your outbound flight is 1pm. If it is the weekday, you will not have time to ride the cable car up. Because it only opens at 10am. After queuing and such, you may reach Po Lin at 11am if you are lucky. And 11am is when you should be at the airport, check in for your flight.

May need to go to Tung Chung and ride bus #23 up early. Maybe take the cable car down.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
4. Re: Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

>> You'd need to be there by about 9:45 to beat the queues. <<

He said his outbound flight is at 1pm. I don't think he would have time for the cable car unless it is on a Sunday.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
5. Re: Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

Sorry, I am totally confused. On one post it said:

>> hi, I would be arriving to HK at 17.00hrs, then depart next day 1.00am(at late night) <<

On this post, it said:

>> My outbound flight will be at 1.pm at the same night <<

Is it am or pm?

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
6. Re: Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

I think it's 1 am on the third day (middle of the night second day).

canada
reviews: 12
7. Re: Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

1.am meaning I will have whole day from morning till lets say 11.00 pm at night

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
8. Re: Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

Hi, so this is you are back from KUL, as that landing time of 1725hrs is so familiar..say this arrival date shall be May 8

And I think can roughly guess, you are leaving back to Canada on an early morning flight(yep, there is one to YVR at 0030hrs,which is actually May 10 already.

So you have a complete day from morning on May 9,until about 11pm of May 9,where you need to be back at HKIA for the 0100hrs flight,which is already on May 10.

So, you can either do down town check in at HK station(if staying on HK island), then Airport Express to Tsing Yi- 11mins, then change onto MTR(Tung Chung Line) to alight at Tung Chung- 16mins, then cable car ride to Ngong Ping village(20-25 minutes). So we have just journey time of 47-52mins. Now taking train waiting-maybe 5-10 minutes= 52 to 62mins.

The crux is queuing time for the cable car to get the ticket,then q to board cable car,and that's where @ HappyFeet1234 had advised in post # 4 - "by about 0945hrs". ..I suggest depending on which day..to even reach Tung Chung at 0915hrs.

From HK airport..two ways had been advised--taxi or bus route S1 to Tung Chung bus terminus,then either bus route 23 to Ngong Ping village,or taxi or cable car.

9. Re: Po Lin monastery - Lantau island - Honk Kong how to reach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 06, 2014