We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I be ok on my own?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Will I be ok on my own?

I am stopping over in Hong Kong next week for a few days on my way to Australia. I am female and travelling alone, which I always enjoy - does anyone have any advice on must sees and no go areas?

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 77
1. Re: Will I be ok on my own?

Hong Kong is a vigrant, and exciting city for tourists. But as you travel anywhere in the world, one must be careful no matter what country or city. So, Hong Kong is relatively safe city. There are a lot of "behind" the scenes crime and your usual "big" city crimes, pickpockets, etc. But as a tourist, I don't think you will come across any of that.

General advice:

1) Choose areas like Causeway Bay, Tsim Sha Tsui, and Central you will have people everywhere until very late night.

2) Don't stay out until 3:00am.... that's consider "late" in HK time. But pubs and bars- still early.

3) If you like to hang out in pubs and bars and discos, be "smart" NEVER leave your drink unattended. The usual caution, but EXTRA caution in Hk. If possible, avoid hanging out by yourself in bars and discos since you are travleling alone.

In general, I think the most susceptible and vulnerable thing that can happen to tourists is pickpockets. There are A LOT of that here. It only takes 3 seconds to steal your wallet, your luggage, or your purse.....without you noticing.

Nothing like pursesnatching in the streets in broad daylight.... nothing like that here.

Anymore questions, just post again.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 77
2. Re: Will I be ok on my own?

VIBRANT... not vigrant. Sorry.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 25
3. Re: Will I be ok on my own?

HI,

Must See:

1 Victoria Harbour - Catch a Ferry from Tsim Cha Tsiu to Central.

2. Shopping - Try Causewaybay - Its not the cheapest but it sells good quality products. No bargin is needed (as they are all fixed price) and the locals buy things there too ... so cant be wrong.

3. Lantau Island - Visit the Big Budda. Its the biggest in the world. Dont miss it.

4. Try the local food. like yum cha and visit one of the many cafe. They sell delicious food like wonton, bbq porks and many. However, save the seafood and fruit products in Australia.

Scotland
4. Re: Will I be ok on my own?

Thanks both -

i'm here and having a ball!

Hinckley, Ohio
5. Re: Will I be ok on my own?

Glad to hear you're enjoying HK, even with the dismal weather. Time permitting, you may also want to take the tram up to the Peak. In this weather, I would go at night, so you can at least see the lights.

Lan Kwai Fong is a great place for night life, but as mentioned before, be careful!

reviews: 101
6. Re: Will I be ok on my own?

Go to www.discoverhongkong.com and take a look at various local tours organised by the Hong Kong Tourist Board. The city is generally safe but please exercise common sense.