We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Express

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 21
Airport Express

Hi... am planning a trip to HK next month. I was thinking about taking the Airport Express from the airport to the Hotel (at Tsim Sha Tsui). Had a few doubts for which I wanted help.

1. What is the duration of the train stop at every station ? OR How long would I get to get into/out of the train when it comes to the station ?

2. If I take a Octopus Card from the Airport, do I get discounted fare for Airport Express ?

Am travelling with my wife and 5 yr old son, and we would have luggage with us (approx 3/4 strolleys) and hence it would be difficult getting inside if the train does not stop for reasonable amount of time.

I would be staying in HK for 7 days, which type of Octopus Card should I purchase ? What should be the rough loading amount ?

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
1. Re: Airport Express

The Airport Express train stops at station platforms for as long as it takes for everyone to get on and off and the signal to turn green.

There is no fare discount for using Octopus Card on the Airport Express. For passengers travelling together in a group of 2 or more you can save money by purchasing the Airport Express Group Ticket, instead of using Octopus Card;

mtr.com.hk/eng/…promotions_4persons.html

Use Octopus Cards for the rest of your travel. Adult On-loan Octopus costs HK$150 of which HK$50 is a refundable deposit (less HK$9 admin fee) and HK$100 is the starting credit balance. Child (3-11) Octopus costs HK$70 (HK$50 deposit / HK$20 credit) and will allow your 5-year old to enjoy concessionary fares.

Top-up the card as you go along at machines at MTR stations, MTR customer service centres, 7-11 and Circle K convenience stores and numerous other retail outlets. Minimum top-up is HK$50. Hand the card in before you depart HK for refund of any credit balance and deposit.

www.hongkongextras.com/octopuscard.html

Mumbai (Bombay...
2. Re: Airport Express

Hi SolentTraveller.... Thanks for the detailed feedback on MTR/Octopus Card. If I have understood it correctly, there is no fixed duration for the train doors to remain open, it stays open till such time everybody has boarded the train - please confirm.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
3. Re: Airport Express

The Airport Express doesn't depart whilst passengers are in the course of boarding the train and you'll hear an audible warning before the doors are about to close. However, if you are only just entering the platform through the platform entry barriers when the warning sounds, you may find the doors already closed by the time you reach the train, in which case, you'll have to wait 10 minutes for the next train.

Mumbai (Bombay...
4. Re: Airport Express

Thank you for the detailed feedback.... this would be very helpful.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 61
5. Re: Airport Express

There is only one type of Octopus card where you can reload at any MTR stations. Other than that, there is special Tourist card for tourist as well. Try asking at the information counter upon arrival at the airport.

Tere are only 3 stops in the airport Express. Your stop is the Kowloon station.

Have fun

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 3
6. Re: Airport Express

The Airport Express trains are not the classical train design where passengers get in/out from the front or rear of a train car with stairs. They are the modern subway train car design, designed for moving high capacity at short intervals. You will find 4 to 5 train doors (the slide-open kind) on both sides of the train car and the car is at the same level as the platform (thus no need to walk up/down steps). You can board and alight very quickly, even with luggage, multiple times.

reviews: 98
7. Re: Airport Express

The Airport Express train in H.K. is exactly like the HEX in London (U.K.).

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 128
8. Re: Airport Express

I used the airport express service recently and it's a great service. Modern, clean, good value. There were 4 of us and it cost $220 for the 4 of us on a special group ticket each way. We even checked our luggage in on the return at Kowloon. Basically you arrive on the shuttle bus from the hotel run by airport express and in the train station they have check in desks for all the airlines. Then you jump the train to the airport with your boarding passes and you are ready to go through security. It's a brilliant system.

quezon city...
9. Re: Airport Express

hi! wer 5 iin thefamily, wud u advise us on wat to take going to regal kowloon hotel. tnx..

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
10. Re: Airport Express

Hi, re post 9: well, you could get the group ticket,then arrived at Kowloon station, then take the complimentary airport express shuttle bus(k3) to the doorstep of your hotel.

Buy a group of 4 airport express ticket to Kowloon station;HKD220,and one regular airport express ticket ,also to Kowloon station : HKD90- so total is HKD310.00

sorry there is no group of five airport express ticket.

There is group of 2,group of 3 and group of 4 airport express ticket.

If you do the G2 + G3 = HKD140+HKD190 = HKD330, which is more than G4 + a regular priced ticket.