We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Granger, In
reviews: 57
Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

I would like to get out of the airport for a few hours. My question is would I have problems with customs entering Hong Kong? I mean is a visa needed? I also need suggestions for a specific area to go to. This is going to be very late at night but I'm sure something will be open. After the 15 hour layover I have a 17 hour flight back to the States.

London
reviews: 74
1. Re: Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

Are you from the US? If so, no visa required for up to 90 days.

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
2. Re: Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

No visa needed. So this 15 hrs means you are flying out the next day at 2:00 pm? There isn't much open anymore after midnight. Maybe bars and some restaurants. My suggestion is to get into town, find a hotel to stay for the night, then get up next morning to look around town. It may be nice to go up to the Peak early morning, ride the Star Ferry, have a nice dim sum early lunch.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,395
3. Re: Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

Agree. Unfortunately, your layover is not during the ideal hours for visiting. Bars are open very late so this can provide you with something to do for a few hours. Otherwise, it seems a grabbing a bed somewhere for a few hours would be a good idea. TSS's suggestion (post 2) is a good one. Star Ferry, Peak are among our few early morning attractions and dim sum is always a good option. Nan Lian Gardens and Chi Lin Nunnery (Kowloon) can also be visited quite early in the morning.

Granger, In
4. Re: Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

Thanks may be expensive but I think I will try and grab a hotel then wake up early and see some of the town.

Granger, In
5. Re: Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

I just looked at Expedia cheapest rooms I saw were like 350.00 dollars a night near the airport. I guess I'm stuck at the airport for 15 hours

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 16
6. Re: Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

No need to stay near the airport hotels. Public transportation is fast, cheap and convenient. There are still buses that run after midnight.

What time exactly is your next flight?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
7. Re: Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

You should be able to get decent hotel rooms starting at USD100 or so in the city proper. Even Novotel at Tung Chung (5 minutes from the airport) usually doesn't charge that much.

Granger, In
8. Re: Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

Thanks, I know nothing about Hong Kong and didnt want to stray to far from the airport so I wouldn't get caught up in traffic and miss my flight. I will try and do some more google searches around the airport and see what I come up with.

9. Re: Arriving 11pm 15 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 13, 2014