We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silvermine Beach hotel

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Neuchatel...
reviews: 48
Silvermine Beach hotel

Hi all,

We are spending a night at Silvermine Hotel on Lantau island after we land in HK from Europe and before flying out the next day to Guilin. Two weeks later we return to HK for 4 nights. I am considering staying at Silvermine again as both location and hotel look great. It's quiet and peaceful, and only a 10 minute stroll to the ferry, from where it takes 30-40 minutes to Central. When I asked the question on another forum, I was told to stay in HK itself as Silvermine would require too much travelling. I'd like a second opinion, based on the following criteria, please: 1) We are not into light-life (we're a very energetic couple in our 60s); 2) we do want to do ALL the sights in HK (Victoria Peak, Kowloon, Repulse Bay, the Giant Buddha etc etc); 3) we'd like something not too expensive to stay but with atmosphere (Silvermine does seem to meet those criteria). Besides, although the there would be a ferry ride at both ends of the day for us to go places, isn't the ride really nice, with great views of the city etc? Thanks for some feedback! I'd really appreciate it!

Neuchatel...
1. Re: Silvermine Beach hotel

I forgot to add that we'll be there at the beginning of August!

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 14
2. Re: Silvermine Beach hotel

If you don't mind the commuting times, then I don't see why not. However, it will be inconvenient if you want to go back to your room in the middle of the day, e.g. to freshen up or drop your shopping bags off. Another downside is, if the weather turns bad, you would still have to brave the waves on the ferry to get to town, or ride the bus for 45 minutes to Tung Chung, to get to a mall or for other indoor activities.

You may also want to look at the T-hotel in Pokfulam, if you prefer a quiet and peaceful location (no beach though).

Xiamen, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 8
3. Re: Silvermine Beach hotel

During the CNY holidays I did some reckon for a race this coming March in Lantau, running back and forth on the island. The Silvermine Beach is not close to the airport at all, and the transportation to town took lots of time and $$$. I especially don't like the idea of choosing that as an overnight hotel!

Take a look at the Royal View Hotel or Harbour Plaza Resort City HK, they have good swimming pool and easier assess to the city.

Neuchatel...
4. Re: Silvermine Beach hotel

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I shall definitely think of staying elsewhere for the 4 days, but have already booked for the night we arrive and before flying out to Guilin, and I'm quite happy with that. A taxi from the airport apparently takes about 45 minutes and the price looks pretty good. I live in Switzerland, where taxis are VERY expensive. Am now checking out Kowloon and HK hotels - and checking on the T-Hotel! Thanks again for your quick replies:):)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 3
5. Re: Silvermine Beach hotel

>> Besides, although the there would be a ferry ride at both ends of the day for us to go places, isn't the ride really nice, with great views of the city etc? <<

Well... only if you ride the "ordinary ferry" (slow, big one) and sit on the 3/F, outoor deck, at the stern. They run only about 1 out of 3 ferry runs. The voyage takes about 1 hour. With the fast catamaran boats (voyage is about 30 min), they lock you inside the cabin, and don't do a very good job in cleaning the windows. What you typically see is smuggy view of outside - thanks to sea water and dust.

Besides, a small issue of lugging your luggage up/down the ferry, and about a 10 minute walk from the pier to your hotel (auto won't reach).

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 14
6. Re: Silvermine Beach hotel

Coming from the airport, ateach52 can take a taxi to the Silvermine Beach hotel. I am pretty sure there are roads to the back of the hotel (or how else would they deliver goods?)

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
7. Re: Silvermine Beach hotel

A taxi from the airport apparently takes about 45 minutes and the price looks pretty good.

-----------

In an hour you can get all the way into the city. For an overnight stay near the airport, there are much better options. Most hotel bookings can be cancelled with 72 hr notice. As for the 4 nights stay, I'd also book something in the city. HK is all about city life. Taking the ferry back and forth everyday can get tiresome really fast.

8. Re: Silvermine Beach hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, February 15, 2013
9. Re: Silvermine Beach hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 17, 2014