We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in early May

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Weather in early May

I'm thinking of going to Hong Kong in early May for about 10 nights, will the weather be wet? Thanks

Xiamen, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 8
1. Re: Weather in early May

It will be warm, humid, and probably rain quite a bit in May, but not too bad compare with Jun/Jul/Aug.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 74
2. Re: Weather in early May

Yes, it will be quite wet as mentioned but otherwise it's still a bit hard to predict because May is still the period when the temperature can change for almost 10C within a day or two.

I would suggest short sleeves plus a light jacket and a slightly warmer one as least

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: Weather in early May

So early May would be quite wet also. I like to see more of HK but not in the wet. I think the earliest I could get to HK would be the middle of April but not sure yet. Would this be a better option? Thanks.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
4. Re: Weather in early May

Not if this last year's rainfall is anything to go by. The second half of April had over three times as much rain (about 245mm) as the first half of May which saw very little rain (about 70mm), most of which fell on one day. You can see the daily rainfall by selecting the HK Observatory's monthly weather summary here;

www.weather.gov.hk/wxinfo/pastwx/mws.htm

Edited: 4:58 pm, January 03, 2013
Sydney, Australia
5. Re: Weather in early May

SolentTraveller, thanks for the quick reply. Decisions ... decisions ... decisions . Would you say last April/May was a onceoff. Can somebody decide for me? hehe

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
6. Re: Weather in early May

In my past experience, early May is still pleasant enough. It is starting to get warm, bothering on hot (I hate the heat myself), and also a bit humid, but really nothing unbearable usually. By late May though, conditions will change considerably and truly start to become hot and humid.

Of course, we really can't decide that for you as weather is just that--weather. It changes daily so there is no guarantee on temperatures and rainfall. Even during the dry winter season such as now, we had some heavy rain just a few days ago.

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: Weather in early May

Hi Sammyfloyd, thanks for your reply. I think I could cope with the heat/humidity but the rain would just dampen the holidays.

Melbourne
reviews: 30
8. Re: Weather in early May

Personally wazza I wouldn't worry. I've been there in Mar - April - May over last 3 years and going this May.

You might cop downpour - but apart from needing take shelter for brief period it's unlikely stop you from sightseeeing IMO.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,393
9. Re: Weather in early May

I am also quite anti-heat and pretty much stay indoors from end of June until mid October. Early May is still ok, it is warm but not usually in the annoying hot temperature ranges yet. Rain is a real hit and miss and our weather patterns have been unpredictable the past couple years, seemingly throughout the year as well.

The good news is if it rains, we have plenty of rainy weather activities and attractions and there are covered walkways everywhere so its not usually difficult to avoid the rain if it starts.

Melbourne
reviews: 30
10. Re: Weather in early May

I don't mind heat/humidity so HK not that warm - I find the ice cold air con inside harder to handle :-)