We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hamilton Island
reviews: 16
Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Hong Kong in 2 weeks, flying Qantas over there from Sydney and returning on Cathy Pacific (frequent flyers seats)

After reading the last 2 reviews, it has dampened my spirits a little but fortuneately for us my friend is 4' 11 and I am 5' 2 so hopefully ours will be a bit more comfortable but not sure about the bad service

Anyway I was told that the airlines allow up to 32kg luggage even though they say 20kg, I have travelled a lot and find the airlines generally in economy only allow 2 or 3 kgs over before they will charge which happened to me in Singapore and cost me a bomb

Can anyone tell me their experiences with luggage if they were seriously over, as obviously we hope to do a fair bit of shopping in 10 days, I was there last year with my husband but as we had 40 kg between us it wasnt an issue

Thanks Abbey

Hong Kong
1. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

The 32kg is actually the limit for any one piece of lugguage. Say you have 2 persons, 40kg altogther in 2 suitcases, one is 30kg, the other is 10kg, it is ok. But if one suitcase is 35kg, the other is 5kg, it is not allowed.

reviews: 98
2. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

I assume that you are travelling in economy class. CX checked baggage allowance for all flights excluding the Americas is 20 kgs per passenger, no restriction as to no. of pieces but total weight must not exceed 20 kgs. Cabin baggage must not exceed 7 kgs and size dimension of 56x36x23 cm. You get an extra 10 kgs if you are Silver tier member of MPC, 15 kgs for Gold and 20 kgs for Diamond.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hamilton Island
3. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

Thanks for answering, I thought that was the case

My friend insisted that she wasnt charged excess last year but after I had to pay over $300.00 Aus at Singapore a few years ago, it makes those cheap bags and t shirts quite expensive

I am wondering though as my friend and I are travelling together with a joint booking even though we have different names, will Cathy Pacific allow our luggage to weigh 40 kgs between us as she may not spend up as big as I tend to do, I havent flown Cathy Pacific before normally always fly Qantas

thanks again

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 11
4. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

Just make sure your bad does not weigh more than 30kgs

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hamilton Island
5. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

Thanks Ill remember tha

Beijing, China
reviews: 4
6. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

Personally I would check with the airline so as not to be caught out. As I understood-the big weight numbers refer to flying via the USA-other than that you need to stick to what is stated on your terms of carriage.

I have found airlines getting pretty tight with luggage allowances and I cant say Ive tried to "share" my allowance with my husband when we travel together.

If you are planning to use any of the low cost budget airlines you need to check their allowances-Ill be using Air Asia out of Macau and even though Im travelling to Hong Kong with Australian Airlines(while the route still exists!!!) my luggage allowance is less(15kgs!!) with Air Asia. So I need to pack just a toothbrush into Hong Kong as Im planning to shop in Shenzhen before my Macau departure.(Just kidding-sort of!!)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hamilton Island
7. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

Qantas has always accepted my husband and my luggage counted together, just as well as he packs light and has a policy what I buy I carry so my bags always weigh more than him and we have never had any trouble being over our weight, my bag has sometimes gone to 28 kgs and his about 14 kg but I dont know if they will accept it with a girlfriend

I am also going to Lo Wu and am planning on buying up big so yes minimal clothes over and leave behind what I dont need to bring back, I have been known to leave all my toiletries behind in order to pack more stuff in, however last year my girlfriend bought curtains back for her loungeroom, purchased in Lo Wu and they even included all the hooks etc. so how she got that back without paying excess I have no idea, she flew Qantas

However last year they didnt weigh the cabin baggage and it is amazing what fits in there so I am making sure I buy a nice cabin bag at the markets and fit a few new goodies in there, and I always put my heavy items like video camera, still camera, battery charger in my handbag, I know not what you are supposed to do but when I see how little most people take on the plane, I think oh well i make up for them

I love shopping and it is one of the reasons I love to travel and of course meeting new people and trying new foods, we have a very big itenary for our 10 days so hopefully we will fit it all in

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 10
8. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

Never had a problem 'sharing' luggage allowance with any airline whether travelling with family or friends, just state you are travelling together (they will still weigh each piece individually) but your total allowance will be 40 kg for 2 people.

Beijing, China
9. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

My husband and son are NOT going to want to hear this-they are already petrified regarding my shopping plans for Shenzhen-the last thing they want is to share their luggage allowance with shopaholic me!!! HA Ha!

I am not planning on curtains so that should free up some space-wow curtains are really bulky, I cant imagine packing them-although I have packed a shopping cart which went from Adelaide to Cairns.

Abbey-a couple of questions slightly off topic.

Do you shop in Hong Kong at all if you are shopping in Shenzhen? And if not-is all your shopping confined to LoWu?

Any tips for Hong Kong/Shenzhen for a fellow Aussie traveller?

Beijing, China
10. Re: Cathy Pacific Luggage Limits

My husband and son are NOT going to want to hear this-they are already petrified regarding my shopping plans for Shenzhen-the last thing they want is to share their luggage allowance with shopaholic me!!! HA Ha!

I am not planning on curtains so that should free up some space-wow curtains are really bulky, I cant imagine packing them-although I have packed a shopping cart which went from Adelaide to Cairns.

Abbey-a couple of questions slightly off topic.

Do you shop in Hong Kong at all if you are shopping in Shenzhen? And if not-is all your shopping confined to LoWu?

Any tips for Hong Kong/Shenzhen for a fellow Aussie traveller?