We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Internet

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 27
Free Internet

Hi, I'll be in Hong Kong with my family in May. Can you tell me where I can find computer terminals with free Internet access in Hong Kong? For example, in Canada we have free Internet at public libraries and Tourist Bureaus. Is it the same in Hong Kong? Any other places where someone can find a terminal and Internet without being charged?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 34
1. Re: Free Internet

Lucky,

(If you're living in Canada, you really are! It is a great country!)

There are some places in Hong Kong, with free or almost free access, too, though it takes a little work. See these posts:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k413…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k384…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k374…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k340…

Similarly, many mid to economy priced hotels say they offer free internet access: Langham Place Hotel, Kowloon Hotel, etc. and most executive hotels with business centers do as well (though I doubt you will choose your hotel on that basis, you should enquire on arrival for sake of convenience.)

If you are wi-fi, see also:

http://www.wififreespot.com/asia.html

At the airport itself, the official site notes:

"While Internet has become an important means of communications, there is no lack of such facilities at the airport. Multi-media lounges operated by Reuters and the Samsung are open 24 hours a day and can be reached by departing passengers immediately after passing through Immigration. To-date a total of 36 workstations have been installed. Airport users enjoy high-speed broadband access, email, and full and unrestricted access to the worldwide web. They are provided free of charge.

Located in the Northwest Concourse, the Cyber Break Café is a part of the Cyber Zone. The café provides unlimited free Internet access on 16 iMac terminals to passengers. While at the landside, passengers can enjoy free Internet services available at the two Pacific Coffee Shops. At aisle A and H of the departures check-in hall."

Though you are leaving soon, you may wish to see if the information is up-dated prior to your departure:

hongkongairport.com/eng/…destination.html

In May, 2005, I also found the free access at the Airport somewhat hit and miss. Many of the terminals were inoperative, and once someone "crashed" the terminal, no one was around who knew how to start it up again.

Hong Kong
2. Re: Free Internet

Public libraries do provide free internet computers, but the demand is also high ---

hkpl.gov.hk/english/…locat_hour_ll_hkir.html

Some MTR stations also provide free internet computers ---

mtr.com.hk/eng/whatsnew/icentre/icentre_e.htm

Some large shopping malls also has free internet terminals, such as Times Square in Causeway Bay, and Harbour City in Tsim Sha Tsui.

Bournemouth, United...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Free Internet

I visit the central libary everytime i visit hongkong easy to get to from either tin hau station or causeway bay its opposite victoria park!

It has a lot of free internet terminals about 10-15 on each floor i think!

You may have to wait a little while i think tops 15mins or so.

But watching all the school kids studying in there is so much fun it makes the 15 mins fly by if your waiting!!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 26
4. Re: Free Internet

Free internet terminals at public libraries can be reserved in person at the libraies.

Canada
reviews: 27
5. Re: Free Internet

Thanks for your help.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
6. Re: Free Internet

Sometimes, your hotel has "business packages" that are worth looking, like room + breakfast + airport shuttle + "free" internet access.

The package deals might come out competitive and convenient.

They might be "business" packages, but they work great for "vacation."

LAX
7. Re: Free Internet

If you are strolling around Hong Kong Park, there is 1 computer terminal with free internet access in the Museum of Tea Ware.