We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a hotel in Kowloon

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, United...
reviews: 28
looking for a hotel in Kowloon

I can't decide which hotel in Kowloon for a 2 night stopover in Sept - we want something central costing around £60 - £70 GBP per night. The hotels in this price range seem to be: Eaton, Majestic, Nathan and Kimberley. Any views on the best one please? Also Re: asiarooms.com are they reliable?

london
reviews: 26
1. Re: looking for a hotel in Kowloon

Hi betty

I stayed at the Kimberly for 11 nights in September last year and I think it was very good value. OK, the rooms are not huge, but they are not matchbox size either - they are certainly big enough for 2 people.

The bathroom was smallish, but hey how long do you spend in there.

The walls are a little thin and at times you can hear what is happening in the roomn next door.

As for location, it really is very good. You are 5 mins from the MTR station, maybe a slow 15 min walk from Star Ferry.

If you want a non-smoking room, make sure you ask for it at time of booking - it took them 3 days to move me into one. Another tip is to ask for a room away from the elevator shafts - there are comings and going all night.

Hope this helps

Dundee, United...
2. Re: looking for a hotel in Kowloon

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 88
3. Re: looking for a hotel in Kowloon

Eaton, Nathan and Majestic are ALL IN THE SAME AREA, just a few blocks apart. So depends on your budget.... Eaton is one or two categories higher than Majestic and Nathan. But due to recent reviews and Nathan hotel has been renovated, I think I would choose Nathan Hotel if you are not planning to stay much in your room ! Nathan hotel is a good value.

Kimberly has the top advantage with its location. It's super convenient in Tsim Sha Tsui, lots of restaurants and shops around, and it's very close to the MTR.

So I would choose between Nathan and Kimberley. Eaton is popular, but their prices are higher, and since Nathan hotel is so near, and they renovated.... I think I would save my money for shopping and eating in HK, and stay at Nathan hotel in that area.

So you just have to decide do you want Yau Ma Tei area or Tsim Sha Tsui.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 101
4. Re: looking for a hotel in Kowloon

Take a look at this great online streetmap.

http://www.centamap.com/cent/index.htm

If you need it in English, hit the tiny little "English" icon in the upper left of the webpage.

Put in an address like 50 Nathan Rd (Holiday Inn Golden Mile) and plot out the online map. The online map shows all the surrounding hotels, all labeled.

Hop back into Tripadvisor to look over the reviews of those surrounding hotels.

Hotel Miramar looks nicer than the Holiday Inn.

Booking one is a different story. The usual Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia are all quite standard and RELIABLE. Octopus and some of the others list lower prices but can be a waste of time because they'll come back a day or two later, saying that rooms are not available anyway.

You can look up the individual hotels' websites too where they might advertise some special promotions.

You can also look for a Chinese Travel Agency in London or somewhere else, with a list of your preferred hotel locations. They might be able to grab you great deals on them, better than anything lay people can find online.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 101
5. Re: looking for a hotel in Kowloon

Oh yah. Most websites advertise a per night room price. You have to do the math to add on the 13% of taxes in addition to those "prices" to figure out your out-of-pocket budget.

Dundee, United...
6. Re: looking for a hotel in Kowloon

Thanks to all for the information

Betty 8

Ballarat, Australia
reviews: 17
7. Re: looking for a hotel in Kowloon

Try the YMCA.It's a beauty.