We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custom-made clothing

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Custom-made clothing

I will be in HK for 5 days in early September. I have been looking forward to having some women's suits and dresses made. So far, I've visited some websites of HK tailors and they seem to only offer the boring basic suits as options. Can anyone recommend a tailor who might come to my hotel (the Peninsula) to make suits and dresses for me that replicate pictures I tear out from magazines? Or can I bring favorite suits and dresses from my own closet for them to make in different fabrics? Are the prices worth the trouble?

Thanks.

xxxxxx
reviews: 1
1. Re: Custom-made clothing

Hi, Mo-and-corey,

When I go to Hong Kong I always go to shenzhen for a day and order my suits and dresses. I use a tailor called Tony who works from Lo Wu shopping building. I have just given my friends his card but they will be home next week so I will post the exact address. He then sends the clothes back to my hotel via courier. The suits cost about $50 AUD each. My husband also had some suits and shorts made.

You need a visa for Shenzhen, however, we always get ours at the border. The train trip to Shenzhen is about 40 mins.

Taipei
2. Re: Custom-made clothing

Hello mo-and-carey,

As a ref, this is the tailor I go to www.taipanrow.com. Another good place is the Italia Tailor Company and ask for Stephen Wong. They are located in TST at the Hyatt on the ground level. I went there in March and will be going back again to get a suit in Sept. Ring (852) 2366 1318 or email italia@pacific.net.hk which is only a 5 minutes walk away from the Peninsula.

Check www.asiarooms.com and they will map out the proximity of the hotels. Peninsula and the Hyatt were Stephen's tailor is in the Tsim Sat Tsui area. Another site for maps is www.centamap.com. Also do check www.discoverhongkong.com

They have heaps and heaps of material to choose from. I think it will be best if you can pop by their shop with either your fav dress/suits and pictures. You can tell then any specifications you want. For jacket sleves, make sure you ask them not to cut holes for the button but just a sewn on button. If yu make the jacket sleves with buttoms that can be undone, it would be impossible to alter the length in the future. And most definitely, the price is worth the trouble with the sort of material you wil lbe getting. In addition, it's made according to your specific measurements. I never bought shirts or suits after I had my first made.

One last thing. Since you will be there for 5 days, make the visit to the tailors the first thing in your itinerary.

Happy suit shopping.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hamilton Island
reviews: 16
3. Re: Custom-made clothing

Hi Kadumba

We leave this sunday from sydney spending 5 days in HK on our way to London, Lo Wu shopping centre was suggested to us to visit, is it worth it, i love shopping, but wondered if the time spent was worth it as this is our first visit to HK and is it easy to get a visa at the border

we arrive sunday evening, hopefully see the harbour lights, we have monday free, monday evening a dinner cruise booked, tuesday the 1/2 day tour, evening go to the peak, wednesday going to Macau and thursday stanley markets and look around

i also would like to get some nice straight shifts made for summer, we are staying at the New World Renaissance, how long does it take to get made

thanks abbey

Hong Kong
4. Re: Custom-made clothing

Just to remind that US or UK passport holders cannot get visa on arrival at Shenzhen.

atlanta
5. Re: Custom-made clothing

THANKS to everyone who responded with such generous advice! It's a tremendous help to have the benefit of others' experiences in situtations like this. I am counting the days and perusing all of the fashion magazines in preparation for the trip. Thanks again!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hamilton Island
reviews: 16
6. Re: Custom-made clothing

Hi Tin

Does this mean that an Australian Passport is okay to get a visa at the border

thanks Abbey

xxxxxx
reviews: 1
7. Re: Custom-made clothing

Dear Abbey,

It is ok to get your visa at the border if you are on an Australian passport. The cost for single entry is HK$150 and it takes about 15 mins, if you go on a weekday.

If you are staying in TST, there is a new KCR station and you don't have to change trains. It is direct to Lo Wu.

A tip if you are coming back with a lot of lugguage pay the extra about HK$30 ( AUD$6) and get a first class carriage where you are guaranteed a seat. The train trip is about 45 mins.

Have a great trip.