We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel advice

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 42
hotel advice

Two 22 year olds are going to Hong Kong for three nights. If choosign between the Guangdong Hotel or the Salisbury YMCA, can anyone weigh in? Or is there something else we should consider? Any other tips for people this age who've never been to Asia?

Taipei
1. Re: hotel advice

Salisbury is by the Peninsula (good place to watch Rolls, Jags, Mercs, BMWs roll by) where a lot of the high end boutiques are located. I'd go with Guangdong in terms of location. Heaps and Heaps of shops and restaurants and also an area where the general tourist hangs out. They are both very close to each other, about 20 minutes by foot at tourist walking speed or 5 to 10 at the local walking speed. Hong Kong is small and they are both in the Tsim Sat Tsui area. Check www.centamap click on English and enter the name of the hotel in the search field. You'll have an idea of where they are. For alternatives go to www.asiarooms.com

There are also lots of gueshouses at the Chung King Mansion but not anywhere close to a cheap hotel standards. Mostly backpackers. It's a good place to change your USD to HKD by the entrance of the building. Also try out some Indian at the upper floors. Take the ferry to the Hong Kong side and walk up the hill to Lan Kwai Fong for drinks and back by the underground.

First time to Asia from the West...I'm definitely sure you wil be coming back again and again. Just enjoy your trip and use common sense, you will be fine.

Enjoy

Xiamen, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 8
2. Re: hotel advice

I'm a gym member of YMCA, so my choice is obvious. Besides the gym and swimming pools, the Y is closer to star ferry as well as the tube.

For someone who've never been to Asia, HK is a good choice as you will find quite a number of people speaks you languange, watch out the heat, humidity and pollution....