We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feeling Safe

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amherst, MA
Feeling Safe

I am a 54 year old "country girl". I am considering a short trip to Hong Kong to meet up with a friend who is working at Hong Kong Disneyland until the opening in September. Since he has a very busy schedule, I will probably spend most of the time on my own. Will I feel safe traveling by myself? Can I travel around after dark?

Since I won't be staying with him, any idea if the Silvermine Hotel will be an easy trip to Hong Kong Disneyland? Or are there any more convient hotels on Lantau Island?

Mulan96

Hong Kong
1. Re: Feeling Safe

It is generally safe to travel alone before midnight. After midnight, avoid places with no or too few people.

Although Silvermine Hotel and Hong Kong Disneyland are both on Lantau Island, there is no direct road between them. From Silvermine, you need to take bus then connect to rail to go to Disneyland. Going to Disneyland from Silvermine would not be easier or faster than from urban by rail. Staying in urban is not a bad choice. I think it will take about 1 hour to Disneyland from urban by rail.

There are two hotels in Disneyland which must be the most convienent for you. If you are interested, have a look at hongkongdisneyland.com/eng/preview/diary/boo…

reviews: 108
2. Re: Feeling Safe

Hong Kong is generally a very safe city although there are petty crimes. It is no worse and in fact better than many other major cities. Just practice common sense. The emergency telephone no. is 999 and police operators speak fluent English. Go to this link for some tourist safety tips:

info.gov.hk/police/…index.htm

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 16
3. Re: Feeling Safe

In my opinion, HK is a VERY SAFE city. I travel quite frequently and indeed never in a place can I find so many policemen!

Like other big cities, beware of petty crimes like pickpockets in busy streets. There are quite a lot of these kind of blackspots, so mind your purse.

Silvermine Bay is definitely NOT a choice to recommend. If yoy want to stay closer to your friend in Disneyland, and you do want to stay in their hotels, try the new Rambler Garden Hotel (there are two operated by the same company). Fair price good environment. It is near Tsing Yi Station, I think 15 min to Disneyland. And there is a big mall in Tsing Yi so that you can meet your friend. Though the way to urban downtown will be longer. But if it is a short stay, should be no problem. It all depends on the frequency of your meeting with your friend.