We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Beijing to Chengde and Nanjing...

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 84
Traveling from Beijing to Chengde and Nanjing...

Hello,

I will be in those 3 places over the Xmas break and was wondering about the following:

- Is it simpler to take a train or a bus to go to Chengde from Beijing? I mean the most comfortable and least time consuming.

- After my 3-day stay in Chengde, I plan to travel to Nanjing: should I take a bullet train there or a flight?

- I'll be coming in the morning from Chengde and going to Nanjing. Assuming I take a train in both cases, I am assuming they will leave from different stations. Is that the case?

I'll be staying at the Park Plaza Wangfujing. I would assume the easiest would be to purchase tickets through the concierge. Do you think it is possible or do I need to go to the station/s.

Ty in advance. Any answer to any part of my questions will be most helpful.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 551
1. Re: Traveling from Beijing to Chengde and Nanjing...

There is no bullet train in Chengde. And there is no direct train from Chengde to Nanjing. You need to rethink this.

Dubai, United Arab...
2. Re: Traveling from Beijing to Chengde and Nanjing...

Sorry my post was not clear.

Bullet train is from Beijing to Nanjing. Not to Chengde. To Chengde, it is by regular train or bus.

I plan to go by train or bus back down to Beijing, then was wondering if I should take a bullet train or a flight down to Nanjing

Magog, Canada
reviews: 551
3. Re: Traveling from Beijing to Chengde and Nanjing...

Ok. Get it now..

I often do Beijing-Nanjing by G train, about 4 hours. I find it relaxing and efficient but it really depends on your travel style. Once in Beijing you'll need to change train station. Train from Chengde arrive at Beijing station while the fast train leaves from Beijing south. Easy to do via subway.

Xi'an, China
reviews: 9
4. Re: Traveling from Beijing to Chengde and Nanjing...

Take high speed train from Beijing to NanJing is better and efficient, especially in winter in China that some of the airlines are very reputable for being delayed. this would make your time wasted at the airport.

No matter taking bus or regular train from beijing to chengdu shall be fine.

Beijing to Chengdu by bus / train

Return back to beijing from chengde.

board on the train from beijing south train sttaion to nanjing.

this would be better.

Beijing, China
5. Re: Traveling from Beijing to Chengde and Nanjing...

No need to go to the station yourself, easier to purchase train tickets through the concierge or agency office(plenty of them in the city), and your passport or its copy is needed when buying tickets. Better make purchase in three or four days in advance, and you could book tickets when you arrive at the hotel.

Daisy

ChinaTourHelper

Dubai, United Arab...
6. Re: Traveling from Beijing to Chengde and Nanjing...

Ty so much to everyone for your help! Annick

Edited: 4:45 am, December 08, 2013
7. Re: Traveling from Beijing to Chengde and Nanjing...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 10, 2014