We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet in China

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leesburg
reviews: 22
Internet in China

I will be in Beijing, Xian, Chengdu and Lhasa the 2nd and 3rd week of September.

Will the internet work on my notebook to send emails or will I have to use something else?

Magog, Canada
reviews: 609
1. Re: Internet in China

Is your notebook special? Does it usually work with the internet? If yes then no difference in China.

Some websites such as Facebook and Youtube are blocked.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
2. Re: Internet in China

I'm not sure if you can send emails any other way - maybe via mobile phone network? As long as you can access the Internet you shouldn't have any problems sending and receiving mail. Seems like you have a lot of travelling to do in those two weeks.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
reviews: 50
3. Re: Internet in China

I use internet daily when traveling in China, in hotels.

As business travelers, the first thing all of us do after checked into our rooms, (sometimes we travel in small group of several buyers,) is to setup out our laptops, before anything else. Once laptop connected, we check emails and start to work, dozens or 200 emails waiting, no time for water or food or bathroom, we are connected to home office and varies clients worldwide, even among us in next rooms we talk by emails, with suppliers in the lobby or factories just few blocks away, pictures, specs, data, etc... . Once that gets started, it is difficult to gather the group to go out to eat

Internet is always available in ALL hotels, cities we go to have no tourists, far from major cities. EVERY hotel I have stayed in has internet, no exception. Do not recall any internet problem.

Edited: 1:28 am, August 04, 2013
Amsterdam
reviews: 6
4. Re: Internet in China

My experience that in Beijing Google related stuff is working badly. Like searches often result in resulting in a "server could not be reached" situation. Also gmail account are sometimes harder to use. It also differs per hotel.

An hotel explained to me that hotels in Beijing are forced to put in place filter software when the offer internet access to their clients. This software should not block google it self, but works crappy.

Since all the protests in major cities around the world, government is a bit nervous about the effects it might have on China. This is also visible by the amount of SWAT teams you see around major areas.

In most other cities I never have problems with internet.

New York
reviews: 13
5. Re: Internet in China

I posted this on another thread as well, hoping all the China experts will see either one! can you please either post or PM me your recommendations for a good VPN app for either iPad or Android phones? I had earlier thought I'll just do without Facebook for the 2 1/2 weeks I'm there, but it's disconcerting to read that some people are also be having gmail issues too. I don't mind using a paid VPN as long as I can just cancel after a month. Free is better, but I'll take a paid one as long as it works well. Thanks!

Magog, Canada
6. Re: Internet in China

Gmail? I live in China and use gmail dozen of times per day. Except for being slow sometimes on my laptop (but not my phone, I have no issues.

New York
reviews: 13
7. Re: Internet in China

Jean-Pierre - good to know. What about Skype? And Facebook? Pretty sure I need a VPN for FB. If you use one, could you please share? Just want to know a good VPN app that I can use on my trip.

Amsterdam
reviews: 6
8. Re: Internet in China

JP: I can only say what I experience. Beijing is 9 out of times bad for google and gmail on my laptop.

I do not have this in Shanghai (or other cities). So Either I have bad luck picking the wrong hotels each time in Beijing, or it is a trend.

Magog, Canada
9. Re: Internet in China

Skype is fine, not FB.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 24
10. Re: Internet in China

Thanks for that. We are visiting Beijing in November, and we were wondering if our gmail would work. I feel more confident now that we can send and receive emails from home.