We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing visa free transit - again!

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brixham, Devon
reviews: 5
Beijing visa free transit - again!

I want to fly from Myanmar to LHR via Beijing. UK passport holder. Flight options are limited and I want to avoid airport change in Bangkok. Most cheaper flights require change at a Chinese city (not Shanghai or HK) - but same airline so through luggage and no airport exit necessary - .Can I still get a 72 hour visa free visit in Beijing?

Also I note visa start time is from issue not plane landing - is end time when I'm back behind security or when my plane is due to take off? Hope someone can help...

Thanks

Jacky

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
1. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

Top Questions - again...

Yes, you should qualify. Period of stay determined by onward flight schedule (who knows when you'll be 'back behind security'?).

Magog, Canada
reviews: 551
2. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

Yes but presumably you want to pick up your luggage though.

beijing
3. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

Um, I think you didn't word your post very clearly but I've spotted a potential flaw in your plan. Sounds like you want to fly Myanmar - China - UK without going through Bangkok or Hong Kong. Theoretically, you could get 72 hours visa-free in Beijing if you were flying nonstop from Yangon/Mandalay to PEK then to LHR (or other intl). But there are no nonstops from anywhere in Myanmar to PEK. This means you'll have to be doing a double-stop transit to Kunming or Guangzhou, then to PEK. Once you have a double-stop transit in China, you get only 24 hours to accomplish the entire thing and be on your way to LHR. Not 72 hours. That's's 24 hours from scheduled arrival in Chinese city #1 (KMG, CAN) to scheduled departure from Chinese city #2 (PEK).

If you really want 72 hours in PEK, then avoid any other stop in China, and route Myanmar - BKK - PEK - LHR or (instead of Bangkok), use SIN, KUL, or HKG.

Edited: 10:33 pm, February 02, 2013
Brixham, Devon
4. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

Thanks for reply. I was hoping because my first stop in China would not entail going through passport control, simply transiting the airport with my luggage checked through because it was the same airline - it wouldn't count as a transit and I'd still have the 72 hours in Beijing. What do you think?

Magog, Canada
5. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

If you are changing plane then you are in transit. You can only have one transit to qualify for the 72 hour thing. Presumably that second flight is a domestic flight, right? Unless you are asked to not get off the plane.

This is clearly not allowed. Not picking up your luggage has nothing to do with it.

Edited: 7:55 am, February 03, 2013
beijing
6. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

You are in transit from the minute you arrive on Chinese soil. The first stop of a double-stop transit triggers the clock. You will be deplaned at the first stop. You are required to pass an immigration checkpoint, even if it merely routes you back through security and airside without officially stamping you. Doing it your way you get 24 hours maximum through China. No Free Pass through the first airport + 72 hours n Beijing. Sorry, but if you want up to 72 hours visa-free in Beijing, you'll have to come in directly to PEK on an intl flight.

Your other option, if you want to do it your way, is to get a Chinese visa. Then you can route any way you want.

wales uk
reviews: 1
7. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

In January ,I fly from Clark Phillipines to Hong Kong, from Hong Kong my flight is with Air China to London via PEK - will i qualify for 72 hour visa as my flight to London is not until the following day from PEK

Edited: 6:18 am, November 19, 2013
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
8. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

No such thing as a 72 hour visa. Presume you mean 72 hour visa-free transit. Information about visa-free transits is covered in the travel article that Top Questions link to - currently 2nd question. If you are staying more than 24 hours then check to see if you qualify. If less than 24 hours then it's irrelevant.

wales uk
reviews: 1
9. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

Yes i did mean 72 hour visa free , my stay in Beijing will be less than 24 hours , in hotel i have booked, I will be flying midday on next day ,Thank you for replying I will be grateful for any information you can give me - Thanks again !

Magog, Canada
10. Re: Beijing visa free transit - again!

For no more than 24 hours in transit, everybody qualifies.