We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pollution Masks for Beijing

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
Pollution Masks for Beijing

I have been watching the news on the air quality in Beijing and it is pretty scary. In Beijing in April with my elderly father and thinking I should pick up masks for both of us.

Does anyone know what types of mask to wear and where you can get them?

Thanks

38 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
31. Re: Pollution Masks for Beijing

How many is 'a handful of days'? In the past 4 years, in which I've spent perhaps spent two months abroad, I'd say blue skies were easily evident in triple figures. None of this reminiscing, of course, gives anyone the chance to better estimate how it will be in the future. Sometimes it's very bad indeed, sometimes not.

Current pollution levels can be checked here: http://aqicn.org/city/beijing/ I don't know of any historical sites summarizing this kind of data.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 550
32. Re: Pollution Masks for Beijing

@IamJak - this is a "slight" exaggeration to say the least.

33. Re: Pollution Masks for Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, June 20, 2014

Los Angeles...
reviews: 153
34. Re: Pollution Masks for Beijing

@jeanne-pierre - not at all.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 550
35. Re: Pollution Masks for Beijing

With comments like you can't see the front of your hands, you obviously lose all crdibility in your comments.

And blue skies only a handful of days in the last four years? Come on, we are not idiot. I lived in Beijing until recently and had blue skies all the time. I was back there last month for a week and had blue skies every single day. Sorry but everything you say has no credibility whatsoever including the jogging foreigner.

Los Angeles...
36. Re: Pollution Masks for Beijing

My fiance shi Beijingren, I see all the time, I have only seen blue skies once or twice in the past 4 years. Just in December you could see pollution as close up as your hands, right now it is not that bad, but you can see it in front of a building across the street, which is pretty bad.

I've never seen this problem in Canadian cities like Toronto or Vancouver when I was there.

37. Re: Pollution Masks for Beijing

Do you know....

that you can search google for "beijing wangfujing" or any crowded/touristy places in Beijing (since this is tourist website)......choose to see images....then set the search tool to show the images uploaded in the last week or whatever you choose...............

Then just see how bad the smog was...........

Los Angeles...
38. Re: Pollution Masks for Beijing

Doesn't help much, just looked through, most of the pictures were filled with smog.

Reply to: Pollution Masks for Beijing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted