We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

I am happy to report that the 72-hour transit stamp in Beijing is indeed and truly present. It started on January 1st, 2013. We came into Beijing from Bangkok, arriving around 6:30 a.m. on January 1st, and thus were among the first ones to utilize this. A film or TV crew had just been there to record the very first travelers who came through.

The process could hardly be easier. There is a clearly marked booth, in Chinese and in English, saying "72 Hour Transit" or similar. The sign is in bright orange LED lights, and is distinctive from the signs over the other booths. At the current time, it is located on the left side of the big room that the OP refers to, where the immigration and visas booths / lines are.

At a minimum, you need a passport and your through-ticket showing when your flight leaves China. It may be good to have your ticket stub from your flight by which you entered China, and it may be good to have checked baggage on your continuing flight, but those may not be necessary. (We did have checked baggage. For us, at 6:30 a.m. with no line at all, we were through in 30 seconds.

There is a storage facility for your carry-on luggage, so if you are just out for the day (as we were) you don't have carry it with your. Cost was 60 RMB for two bags, a little under $10 US ($5 per bag), and we put it on a Visa card.

Also a nice feature at the Beijing Airport were what they called "Lockers" -- they are changing rooms, lockable, about six feet square. Free. Good for us, coming from Bangkok and going out into Beijing for the day, to put on extra layers of clothing. Weather was about 20 F with a strong chilling wind. If you ask, or follow the signs for "Lockers" you will find them. The changing rooms are portable (on wheels) so their location in the airport may change.

Taipei, Taiwan
reviews: 176
1. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

Have been hearing about this for months. It seems like an upgrade from their 48 hour transit stop they had for many countries before, just now that more countries have been added and another 24 hours has been added. However, now the big question is, would a round trip ticket count as a transit stop? IE. Taipei-Beijing-Taipei if on a foreign passport?

Magog, Canada
reviews: 609
2. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

There was no 48-hour deal in Beijing, it was 24 hours. But in any case the answer to your question is NO. It has to be a transit between two different countries. That is why it is called a visa-free transit.

Beijing, China
3. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

great post, very helpful

Taipei, Taiwan
reviews: 176
4. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

Then it was 48 hours I think in Shang-hai for some foreign tourists anyway as a friend mentioned they used to do that and without a thrid country invovled. So, for this 72 hour thing, perhaps something has changed, I don't know. I am just going by what other people have been telling me.

Magog, Canada
5. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

Read this article: china.org.cn/business/…content_27326771.htm

It refers to "tourists holding third country visas and plane tickets" so a return trip is not a third country ticket. In any case in one article there is a phone number to call. I'll check with them (actually my girlfriend will make that call, haha).

Prairie Village...
reviews: 7
6. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

how about this:

US citizen flying into Beijing, stay for about 24 hours, fly to North Korea on a tour, fly back to Beijing, stay for less than 24 hours, fly to Seoul...

The tour group for NK says to get a visa for China because NK authorities will investigate when they see I don't have a China visa and will be going to Seoul afterwards. Just figured it would be nice to not have to pay nearly $200 to get a visa (I don't live near an embassy in the USA and have to use a 3rd party service).

Magog, Canada
7. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

If you are in transit and stay behind immigration, it is not an issue.

Normally airline employees should be able to read about the transit rules in their system but in NK, who knows.

Magog, Canada
8. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

I called the border police and confirmed that Beijing-NK-Beijing does not qualify for a 72-hour exemption.

Thousand Oaks
reviews: 19
9. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

I am so happy to read someone has used this new rule! I'll be passing through on January 18 and will benefit from your advice. I'll post my experience as well...I know I've come here to Trip Advisor to seek advice a lot on topic of the long layovers in Beijing. Thanks again for sharing and happy travels!

Prairie Village...
reviews: 7
10. Re: Beijing 72-hour Transit Stamp - NEW as of Jan 1, 2013

wow, thanks for checking that out jean-pierre. at least i know for sure now...bummer

Edited: 11:49 am, January 08, 2013