We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More attractions available by subway

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Magog, Canada
reviews: 550
More attractions available by subway

A couple of days ago Beijing added several more subway stops and subway lines, making it the largest subway network in the world (surpassing Shanghai).

This website offers a good subway map with the ability to estimate the time to travel between stations: http://www.explorebj.com/subway/

They also have a good app although it is under approval now. Google maps are also very good as you can zoom-in and see the actual exit number closest to where you wish to go but Google has not updated its map yet.

Notable new stations include:

- Panjiayuan (line10): which gives you access to the market of the same name (better visited in the morning on weekends)

- Beijing West station (line 9): for the train to Xi'An (this station is not new as such but is now connected to the rest of the netword)

- Nanluoguxiang: Gives you access to the pedestrian street of the same name and surrounding hutongs. It is also walking distance to the Drum Tower.

- Beihai north: not sure where the exits are exactly but this is supposed to be next to Houhai.

Fares are still 2RMB and the subway is always there where taxis are nowhere to be found.

Amsterdam
reviews: 6
1. Re: More attractions available by subway

Last month I was in the traffic control center of Beijing, where they also monitor the subway system.

They were very proud that the network was now becomming the largest of the world :-)

Beijing, China
reviews: 9
2. Re: More attractions available by subway

Thanks for this. Made me realise how out of date the subway app on my phone is!!

I'm looking forward to the completion of line 15 as there will be a stop right outside my apartment :)

Magog, Canada
3. Re: More attractions available by subway

Get the exploreBeijing app. It is really good. Not only does it give you travel time but it will also point to the nearest subway when you are walking around and it provides a map of the area around the subway station.

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
4. Re: More attractions available by subway

Thank you JP, that's very useful.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
5. Re: More attractions available by subway

The exits for Beihai North (line 6) are on the main road between Beihai Park and Qianhai (not Houhai exactly but the front lake). When line 8 is extended southward there will be a station at Houhai close to the Drum Tower. Line 8 does now connect to line 2 at Guloudajie making for a more direct connection to the Olympic site. At present there is no direct interchange from line 1 to line 9 at Military Museum for those wishing to connect to Beijing West Railway Station - I'm not sure what the situation is here exactly.

Magog, Canada
6. Re: More attractions available by subway

You are right about the train station. Rather inconvenient.

7. Re: More attractions available by subway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, January 06, 2014