We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 Hours in Beijing

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elberon, NJ
reviews: 16
24 Hours in Beijing

Greetings,

I am going to Beijing towards the end of April. My plane arrives at 1:45pm on a Monday and then I fly out on Tuesday at 4:15pm.

Based on this travel schedule, I would lappreciate it if someone could reccomend what I should/could see in this time frame.

I was thinking about staying at the Beijing Hilton so I could be near Sanlitun that night.

Is it possible to see the Forbidden City & Tian'an Men the afternoon (after checking into the hotel?) I arrive?

I was then thinking about going to the Great Wall on Tuesday and then the airport. Is there any good shopping between the Great Wall and the Airport.

In regards to the airport, how early are you allowed to check your bags in for a domestic flight? I would hate to have to lug my bags around.

I am open to any suggestions that will make my very short trip in Beijing memorable.

If getting a guide with a private car is smart, can someone recommend a service to contact for the 24 hours I will be in Beijing?

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 157
1. Re: 24 Hours in Beijing

Until you really got from the airport to the hotel, checked in, then went to the Forbidden City it would probably be closed or about to close. You can visit Tiananmen square with no problem.

If you leave very early, you should be able to go the the Great Wall and get to the airport.

There is a luggage check room at the airport--it might be best to store most of your luggage there.

Ireland
reviews: 28
2. Re: 24 Hours in Beijing

Its all possible for you on your short visit. You should get a guide and let him/her make all your arrangements.

There is a lot of guides available, but do your homework. I chatted online with a lot of guides before my visit to Beijing last October and there was a lot differences between them all, including their fees.

I didn't go for the cheapest guide nor did i go for the dearest guide.

I struck gold and had a fantastic 2 weeks with a really good guide, who i will use on my return to Beijing in July this year.

If you need any additional details please feel free to contact me ....

looli1956@hotmail.com

Beijing
3. Re: 24 Hours in Beijing

The forbidden city will stop selling tickets at 3:30pm,so put your luggage in the loby of Hiton,then to Forbidden City,from North Gate,i guess you will get there at a bout 3:15pm,you will have about 2 hours in the Forbidden City.then to Tianmen Square.next day,if you like,you can hire a car to Mutianyu Great Wall with your luggage in the car,after that,you will arrive at airport about 2:00pm,i am a local private guide,any questions,tell me.

Skopje, Republic of...
reviews: 2
4. Re: 24 Hours in Beijing

Hi Dagindi!

When it comes to traveling I consider myself very abitious in order to see as much as I can in one day. But you can give me lectures ; )Mabye if you are very fast you can visit all in 1 day, but please keep in mind size of Beijing as well as size of Forbidden city and location of Great wall and airport + traveling is sometimes slow (to many cars on the streets).

Regarding Forbidden City, I think it is open until 5p.m.(please check), so if you are fast-no problem you will be able to do quick visit there. Tian'an men is square in front of Forbidden City, so you can visit it any time you like.

Since you mentioned shoping I think you can do that first day after Forbidden and Tian'an men shops work little longer at night). you can find Wangfujing street and Oriental Plaza (huge mall at the beginning of the street) at reasonable distance to Forbidden and Tian'an men, so you can go there. Don't forget Snack street on Wangfujing - opsosite of Oriental plaza.

Going to Great wall - any section (in diffrent direction of airport) on the day when I have I plane to catch, is little risky for my stomach, but don't let me change you plans.

I'm sure you will something out ;)

Have a nice trip

5. Re: 24 Hours in Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:06 am, March 23, 2007
6. Re: 24 Hours in Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 28, 2009