We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vernon, Connecticut
reviews: 59
Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

Hello,

I will be traveling with 2 other travelers to Mombassa for the first time. We recently had a change in our flight time and will now be arriving from Istanbul in Mombassa at 4 a.m. on a Friday morning after a 30+ hour transit. We are looking for a hotel in a safe location in Mombassa/north shore, not too far from the airport (as we will be exhausted and just want to sleep!) that won't break the bank. We will just need to stay one night because we will be picked up Saturday morning for our safari (I'm assuming the hotel will probably make us pay for Thursday night, as well). Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels that will allow a middle of the night/early, early morning check in? I was looking at either Voyager or Kenya Bay, but would love recommendations. Main concern for us is allowing this strange time check in, safe area, will not break the bank (as to most of our money is going towards flights and safari) and not in a super loud area since we will be lacking on sleep. Thank you so much in advance! We are very much looking forward to our first trip to Kenya! Cheers! -Mary

14 replies to this topic
nyc
1. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

That the issue with the tempting less expensive Turkish Air flight... arrival and departure times.

Can't advise inexpensive/close hotel, but the Voyager sure doesn't come cheap. Also, any hotel should accept you arriving middle of the night and charge for the night prior... standard worldwide.

But wonder... you mention going on safari, but to where? If to the close parks for a few days at Tsavo E or W and maybe Amboseli, I assume you'll be returning to the Mombasa coast for a hotel there? Yes? If so, what hotel? Maybe they can refer you to an inexpensive property or if you plan a longer stay after this nearby safari, offer you a reduced price for that first nt.... ask!

If not, and safari is farther inland, as the Masai Mara and other areas... why the heck are you flyying into Mombasa?. Flying into NBO which is better/closer for inland safaris and if on Turkish Air... also arrives middle of the night.

Vernon, Connecticut
2. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

Thanks for the response. We are first going on safari to tsavo east/west/amboseli and then returning for a week long stay at a private rental in diani beach. i emailed both voyager and kenya bay to ask if they would do an early arrival and said we would be happy to pay an early check in fee. any other hotel recommendations (would like to stay under $200 USD). Do you have any idea if customs/visa office in Mombassa airport is even open at 4 a.m.? I am assuming that after customs/visa/luggage/taxi we won't even get to our hotel until 6 a.m.... Hoping I can find something that works out!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
3. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

Hi,

Immigration and Customs are open any time flights are landing, you should be through Immigration, baggage reclaim and Customs in about an hour give or take, even if you get through Immigration quickly you could end up waiting for your bags. Then at that time of the morning it should only be 20 -25 minutes to a hotel in Mombasa Town, or if you prefer the beach around 30 minutes or so to Voyager or Kenya Bay.

You could also try Kahama, small modern hotel popular with locals near Kenya Bay, not actually on the beach but only 100 -150 metres from it and should be much cheaper than Voyager. (They will probably be amenable to an early check in as they may get Nairobians coming in on the first flight of the day.)

There are lots of hotels on Bamburi Beach near Kahama / Kenya Bay and on Nyali Beach near Voyager. I won't list them but have a look at 'FAQ - is there a map...' on the right of this page they are all listed in the index on the left of the Google map in the link there.

Edited: 1:19 am, September 11, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
4. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

You can also try Tamarind Village.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
5. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

Well most North coast hotels allow pre-booking, I think that should solve your late night check in problem, but as for not breaking you bank and preference of silence and beach, I know Serena have a quiet wing where they do not allow a lot of activity. But in terms of payments your guess is as good as mine :)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
6. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

Serena is one of the two 5 star (Kenyan rating) hotels on the North Coast, and as it's in Shanzu, it's the furthest away from the airport of the North Coast hotels, though at that time of day you are only talking a few minutes extra

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
7. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

Hi -how about staying in MBA town instead ? Have a look at Royal Court & Castle Royal

sentrimhotels.net/index.php/sentrim-castle-r…

http://www.royalcourtmombasa.co.ke/

You can venture into Old Town for a stroll, go to Fort Jesus & Lighthouse.

Nairobi, Kenya
8. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

The low priced hotels are in town, and you could consider either Royal Court or Castle Royal. Kahama Beach Hotel is a walking distance to the beach (2nd row). The others would be Reef Hotel, Nyali Beach, Kenya Bay, Bamburi Beach, again depending on your budget. The aforementioned hotels are all within the USD 200 range.

Edited: 4:29 am, September 11, 2013
Vernon, Connecticut
9. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

thanks everyone for your replies! i am looking into all of these hotels...many of them i have emailed personally and they all have been helpful! one last question if that's okay... we plan to take a cab to which ever hotel we choose... is it possible to catch a cab from the airport at this time to the hotel or should i try and make a hotel arranged transport! thanks again everyone! psyched about our first time in kenya!

nyc
10. Re: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night

Just ask whichever hotel you wish to book if they'll provide meet/greet/transfer.

If not, ask the next hotel. If still no positive response, take a taxi.

Reply to: Hotel questions...arriving in the middle of the night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted