We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or taxi

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
reviews: 15
Bus or taxi

Hi we are a family of 4 staying at Sarova Whitesands in a few weeks time. We would like to go out and have a look around Mombasa town/fort etc. and we would also like a trip to Heller Park. Is it easy to catch a bus to these places or would it be better to take taxis. If taxis are preferable how much approx should we expect to pay each way for each trip.

Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Bus or taxi

I will recommend you get a taxi to avoid the hussle of the mini vans around the place. You can be changed ksh3000 both ways. All the best.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 28
2. Re: Bus or taxi

Haller park is only a few mins away, wont be much in a taxi, 500 shillings maybe. If you get a local bus (matatu) it will be 20 shillings each unless fares have went up a little lately.

Nottingham
3. Re: Bus or taxi

Yes I've just located the hotel and park etc. on a map, looks quite near and straight forward.

Thanks

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
4. Re: Bus or taxi

It's slightly different from catching public transport in Nottingham. There are hundreds of matatus driving like crazy along the main road outside Whitesands. You just stand on the side and within seconds one will stop and squeeze you in. Tell the conductor where you want and he'll tell you how much the fare is. You'll probably pay over the odds to start with and to Haller Park it's as Malla said around 20 bob. Try to have the exact money as getting change can be slow. I hate matatus as they drive fast and dangerous and only use them for carry short journeys. The other cheap option is a tuk tuk. They can seat 3 but on one occasion we squeezed 4 adults in on luckily a very short hop. I would negotiate a car and driver for a whole day sightseeing in town and use the local transport from your hotel to the Mall or Haller park etc.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
5. Re: Bus or taxi

I would second Tembofan's suggestion. Get a hotel taxi / car for the day. You will be more comfortable and safer.

Mombasa, Kenya
6. Re: Bus or taxi

use a tax dude, it will be the best because of convenience

7. Re: Bus or taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa