We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

We want to take a bus from Mombasa to Malindi in early October, 2013. Are there regular buses that travel then? We do not want to take a Matuku if at all possible (been there, done that - prefer not to repeat the experience)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

Hi - on the contrary i don't recommend taking the bus, i prefer taking the matatu. Reason, bus stops at every stop to drop & pick up passengers, it's very annoying. Not only that, it's carries more passengers than there are seats.

There is an Express matatu from Buxton (strictly 14 passengers) & goes non-stop.

If you must take the bus, then there is MASH bus that goes direct to Malindi from NBO & stops @ MBA in early hours (once in a day) to drop passengers. You could hop into that one...

Another option is it to hop onto bus going to lamu. Take the Tawakal or TSS & alight @ Malindi.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

Thanks on this. I was in Kenya 30 years ago and took some Matatus then, they were extremely overcrowded and had my pocket picked, so I didn't enjoy the matatu experience. But if they now actually limit the number of people on them, then that won't be so bad. Where would I pick up a Matutu in Mombasa? My husband and I will be carrying 60 L backpacks with us. Will they need to stay on our laps or is there a place on a Matatu to store them during the trip?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

Hi - i'm a frequent visitor to Malindi & I always take the Express Matatu from a bus stand called "Buston" near Nyali bridge. Ask anyone when you get there. Its apprx $4.00 O/W. If i'm not mistaken, there's room at the rear to put luggage. (or put it under the seats) . It's very convenient with the matatu, since there's one leaving every hour.

..............& very safe indeed. Best to travel during daylight hours...

Edited: 10:28 am, May 20, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

..Sorry -it's Buxton not Buston.

Berlin, Germany
1 post
5. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

As mentioned before, you can pick an Express Matatu for KES 350 which will go directly and has 11 people on board. They run all day and leave as soon as the matatu is full.

With big luggage it might be better to take a bus. These are usually the buses heading to Lamu with a stop in Malindi. They are slightly cheaper and usually run in the morning hours up to 10/11. Companies are tawakal, Tahmeed, TSS and so on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

Hi there,

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me how long the Express Matatu takes from Mombasa to Malindi. I'm planning on getting off near the Gedi ruins, and want to make sure I'll still have enough daylight to do this and get to accommodation in Watamu.

Thanks!

Jo

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
165 reviews
7. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

Jo, Mombasa to Gedi should take between 2 - 2.5 hours. Depends if there are any stops along the way. From Gedi to Watamu would be another 20 minutes.

Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
359 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

If you take an express matatu it will take around 1 hour 15 minutes from Mombasa. In an express matatu all passengers pay the full fare to Malindi even if they get off before. They go direct and don't look for other people along the road.

Edited: 7:58 am, July 02, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

Thanks very much to you both!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
165 reviews
10. Re: bus schedule from Mombasa to Malindi

Giriama, how can a matatu take 1 hr, 15 min from Mombasa to Watamu? I drive from Mombasa to Kilifi regularly, and it takes me (and I do drive fast) at least 1 hr 20 minutes. From Kilifi to Watamu is another 45-60 minutes.

Jo, please allow more time then Giriama has suggested.