We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Mombasa

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
Wedding in Mombasa

We are two "mature" hitch hikers from way back when and have recently re united. Having grown up in Kenya and visited several times, we would dearly like to get married on a quiet beach with little or no pomp and ceremony. Does anyone have any ideas, contacts or suggestions ? We would like to rent a house on or near the beach and arrange the wedding, via a local official, so that it is legal and also accepted in South Africa. The preferred date would be February 2014. HELP !

Winchester, United...
reviews: 27
1. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

Hi Glyn M

We got married at Tsavo West National Park in Feb 2012 and used a company called Coraldunes wedding services Kenya their website is weddinkenya.blogspot.co.uk. They Were excellent. We emailed the paperwork they needed and they did the rest. It was very easy. I am sure they would beable to organize something for you.

Mombasa, Kenya
2. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

Congratulations!

If you want to rent a house and do everything yourself but do not have a contact in Mombasa who could help you, then wedding planning service will be of great help to you.

If you are doing it in a hotel, then the hotel will most probably help you with all the paperwork, etc.

The main thing is, apart from various documents, if either of you is divorced or widowed, you need to prove it with documents. Also there is a rule that you have to be a resident in the country for 4 days. Sometimes this rule is overlooked but you need to be aware about it as you cannot count on it.

Have a very nice wedding!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
3. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

My daughter got married in Kenya in 2011. My travel consultant arranged everything from the venue at Sweetwaters; to the photographer - Emmanuel jambo; Pastor Julian performed the ceremony and one of Kenya's top gospel singers sagat the wedding. She even organised the bridesmaid dresses (they were 3 girls from the orphanage we support). All that and safari holidays for the 40 guests from the UK and transport, accommodation and safaris at Sweetwaters for the Kenyan contingent. It was a wonderful wedding. I wish we could do it all again.

Anyway if you would like the details of my travel consultant let me know. She hails from Malindi so is well placed to organise a wedding on the coast.

Edited: 4:07 pm, April 21, 2013
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
4. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

Hi,

As you would like to get married on a quiet beach with little or no pomp and ceremony, it sounds like Jumba Ruins Beach in Mtwapa would be perfect for you. It is a quiet, almost private beach, you have the ruins as a backdrop and an ideal location for photographs and the wonderful Jumba Ruins Monsoons seafood restaurant right there for your wedding breakfast.

I have seen several big Swahili or Mhindi weddings at the ruins where catering has been set up in the ruins by the beach, but also some smaller scale weddings have booked Monsoons as the reception venue. Of course if it was low key, just yourselves and the witnesses an ordinary booking at Monsoons would suffice.

I would imagine that to book the actual wedding you would have to go through the Ruins Museum manager, who may be able to help with the wedding officiator.

www.museums.or.ke/content/blogcategory/8/40/

Monsoons website

http://www.letseat.at/Monsoons

and some photos of beach, ruins and restaurant

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39012909@N06/sets/72157623021217713/

5. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, April 23, 2013
6. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, September 02, 2013
7. Re: Wedding in Mombasa

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 26, 2014