We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airways

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Staffordshire
reviews: 1
Turkish Airways

Hi,

Turkish Airways seem to have the cheapest flights i can find (and afford)to Mombasa in June/July. Has anybody travelled with them from Manchester in the last few weeks?

If so , would appreciate your comments, especially regarding connecting times etc @ Istanbul ,as not used them before

Thanks in advance

12 replies to this topic
manchester, United...
reviews: 42
1. Re: Turkish Airways

My family flew with them yesterday! They thought they were excellent - good food, modern, small plane with a great selection of in-flight entertainment. No connection problems and getting through passport control was breeze because there weren't hundreds of people arriving at the same time.

Sadly I had to stay at home............on crutches!

Staffordshire
reviews: 1
2. Re: Turkish Airways

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I now cant get the dates I wanted so will hopefully go later in the year Sorry to hear you are on crutches (:-(

Mombasa, Kenya
3. Re: Turkish Airways

Oh, sorry Val :( I hope it is not too serious though, get well soon. Such a shame you missed the trip...

Friends of mine use Turkish regularly and have always been happy. Only once they missed their connection due to the first sector flight delay but the airline took care of them during transit. They recommend it especially for value for money,

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

manchester, United...
4. Re: Turkish Airways

Thanks Larissa......Yes its a bit of a blow but I'm lucky that I get to visit a couple of times a year. I just have to keep saying to myself "life is tough but I am tougher....."

Mombasa, Kenya
5. Re: Turkish Airways

That's the spirit Val! :) Get well soon!

Larissa

Manchester, United...
reviews: 61
6. Re: Turkish Airways

Val

Thanks for the update, know you were concerned about using Turkish Airways, can convey the good news to our family members using them during 2013.

Hope you are ok & sorry to hear you have had to stay at home, wishing you a speedy recovery

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 81
7. Re: Turkish Airways

I normally fly Turkish airlines when I go to the states and return to Nairobi. I can't believe the quality of the service and everything else. It was selected as European Airline of the year for 2012 and deservedly so.

manchester, United...
8. Re: Turkish Airways

Thanks Mary.

Something to be aware of. Nairobi airport were vigorously checking people who they thought were carrying stuff to orphanages. They were asking them directly if this was the case. My friends and family got through OK because they had only one bag each (Turkish Airlines limitations on baggage fortunately) but my friends who travelled the following day had their bags checked by customs. It looks as though it may be getting very difficult indeed to take things out to the orphanages in Kenya.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 45
9. Re: Turkish Airways

Meanwhile the legendary Mombasa Customs staff are excelling themselves and it's not only people suspected of bringing things for orphanages:

Mohamed Hersi, Regional general Manager of Sarova Hotels (Coast) and Mombasa and Coast Tourism Association (MCTA) chairman, was tweeting his protests about Customs at Mombasa, after he was searched after flying in from Addis yesterday, a selection of his tweets (some of which are response to replies to his tweets)

"I get far better treatment abroad than at home when I land. It is only in Kenya where customs will insist to go through my suitcase.

We work so hard trying to bring in tourists but customs line them all up as they rummage through their personal effects is just not on

Mombasa this afternoon virtually everyone was being asked to open

Its annoying and it takes a lot of energy to woo these tourists. Even locals get mistreated

Trust me securing the nation is the last thing on their minds.

That is the practice but in this case in Msa we were all lined up."

shamba25
reviews: 6
10. Re: Turkish Airways

I have been waiting to see the reports for Turkish Airways because of the lower prices & glad to see that its good reading - However I must admit the thought of going through customs at Mombasa is a little off putting & certainly understand any new tourist to Kenya would find this a little scary- I know when Iv travelled that way in the past its never a good start to my holiday, having to explain what I have in my case & having to give a firm no, to the question -do I have any presents for them! - In comparison, going through Nairobi is a breeze, where they only stop maybe 1 in every 12 people or so, personally I have only been stopped once & was more than happy then to open my case & answer any questions, think it had something to do with the tone of voice & the smile when i was asked.

Reply to: Turkish Airways
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted