We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach and sunbathing

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
reviews: 2
beach and sunbathing

hi thinking about going to the voyage beach resort for our silver wedding aniversary. i have been looking at the photo and can not see any one sunbathing on the beach .

was just wondering why there no one sunbathing on the beach, can you sunbath on the beach ?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
1. Re: beach and sunbathing

Unfortunately if you try to sunbathe on the beach you are pestered by beach boys selling safaris, wooden animals, fruit, even their granny! They seem to think you might want to make "friends". No! go away I want to relax! They sometimes put sunbeds on a stretch of the beach near the water sports but few people lie there for long. Most would rather lie on a sun bed over looking the ocean where they aren't pestered. This isn't just at Voyager but most hotels along the coast. Voyager is a good hotel - you wont be disappointed.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
2. Re: beach and sunbathing

So the initiative to have reserved areas for sunbeds with no beach boys at Voyager, Travellers, Whitesands, etc brought in a year or so ago has fallen by the wayside has it TF? Last time I looked at the beach at Whitesands (admittedly a few months ago, it was still operating there)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
3. Re: beach and sunbathing

The beds were there but mostly unoccupied at Voyager. Such a shame but you can't blame guests as the BBs are so persistent.

uk
reviews: 1
4. Re: beach and sunbathing

same at whitesands etc paul , beds where ther but empty

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
5. Re: beach and sunbathing

I never saw one person using any sunbeds on the beach at all during the Month of December . . not even the locals used them - - The BB`s still shout or talk loudly trying to get some business . .

Mombasa, Kenya
6. Re: beach and sunbathing

In more popular beaches with developments around them you will get the same, so it is not only on the North Coast or specifically in Voyager or any other big hotel. I do not think that people would use those reserved areas too much as still BB would try to attract their attention. Voyager is a good hotel, probably one of the better ones on the North Coast. There are beaches without BB but those are more secluded and away from big developments and usually smaller places, not big resorts.

Edited: 11:22 am, January 23, 2013
Hereford
reviews: 23
7. Re: beach and sunbathing

We returned from VBH just before Christmas. We were there for 3 weeks and not once did anyone use the 2 beds on the beach for the reasons already mentioned (beach boys). Even if you can resist their selling charms they will still pester you for fresh water from the drinks machine by the relax pool. I know they have a living to make but they are driving people away. As I said in my review, if you want a beach holiday, go somewhere else. Other than this, we think its a very god place to stay.

Boston...
reviews: 92
8. Re: beach and sunbathing

We went to Lamu and stayed at Peponi.. no one sunbathes on the actual beach.. It's too busy with people walking up and down going about their daily business.. plus, it's a more conservative town and they do ask that people dress modestly in public areas.

Peponi has a lovely terrace that overlooks the ocean for sunbathing and relaxing... which was perfect.. no one but the hotel guests and staff.

uk
reviews: 1
9. Re: beach and sunbathing

its a pity yamas shut on north coast was never troubled there by bb or any one else come to think of it

reviews: 3
10. Re: beach and sunbathing

Try Nyali International no one bothers u there on the beach.