We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mombasa Weather Report

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
Mombasa Weather Report

I did a daily weather report, on the Mombasa Forum, for two or three months because lots of people were worried by weather forecasts when we in reality were often baking in the sun. The weather forecasts are based on mathematical models, and percentage probabilities, when it says rain or thunderstorms it just means there is a certain percentage chance of there being a shower or a thunderstorm somewhere in the area at some point within the 24 hours.

When it does rain here the showers tend to be relatively short but torrential and they can be very localised, it can be raining on one beach and fine on another a couple of miles away. Any longer showers tend to be overnight.

The forecasts often frighten people that's why I started that thread to give feedback about what the weather is actually like rather than what the forecast says, I stopped when I went back to Europe for 3 weeks. I've had a few requests to start it up again so here we go....

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
1. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

When I left in late November the South East Monsoon was still dominant but by the time I came back the North East Monsoon had taken over meaning the season of the Short Rains should have ended, and sure enough it has been sunny and extremely hot since I came back. That is until Tuesday night, when a thunderstorm hit round about the same time the power went off, unusually the storm stayed around for some hours rather than passing over (not so unusually the power stayed off all night).

Since then we have had some very unseasonal weather its still been very hot, but there has been quite a lot of flat cloud cover and quite a few very light showers, which at times have been so light they would have Peter Kay's playground teacher calling the kids in shouting 'Its spitting!'This is unusual for Mombasa at any time, but especially at Christmas / New Year

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
2. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

The slightly strange weather of the last few days continues. It is hot but with quite a strong North Easterly breeze / wind. Both yesterday and so far today have been the same as the previous couple of days, mainly hot and sunny but with significant cloudy periods. ('Confused Weather', Wor Lass calls it).

It was hot down on the beach for New Year last night, but very pleasant if you were in the cooling breeze.

Buckhorn, Canada
reviews: 44
3. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Thanks Doff. We are heading there in a week and hot is what we want. It's been -20 celcius in our part of Canada lately. Bring on the sunshine and heat!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
4. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Hi Buckhorn,

in that case you'll need to get ready for a 50º C temperature change because its around 31 - 32 during the day and around 24-24 at night.here at the coast.

Today is back to normal, blue sky and sun. and its starting to quieten down a bit as many of the thousands of people who descended on the coast from upcountry for the holidays have started to go back.

Sunderland, United...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

hello paul

hope you and your friends are well

ian n sheila

Hemel Hempstead...
reviews: 9
6. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Hello!

This thread is such a good idea!

We're heading there in a couple of weeks and the weather reports are predicting lots of cloud and rain for the next 5 days! Are they usually reliable?

=)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
7. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Hi Gemma,

The weather forecasts frequently give people the wrong impression and make them worry unnecessarily (for the reasons I mention in the Original Post of the thread) hence why I started the previous version of this report back in July.

Ian and Sheila,

Thanks we are all fine, hope you are well its not too cold in Makem-land

As for here, yesterday started off cloudy, but it had cleared by late morning and was a beautiful sunny day after that. Today has started well, its been a lovely sunny morning, one of two small fluffy white clouds in a blue sky, and a nice cooling breeze

Bristol, United...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

I know they struggle predicting the weather in England for tomorrow but I was just wondering what you'd expect the weather to be like from the end of March to 13th April?

Cheers

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
9. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Steve,

Nobody can predict what the weather is going to be so far in advance, and like anywhere in the world the old weather certainties no longer apply but historically the Long Rains start in late March and run through May (the wettest month) and into June. (This is why it is Low season in Kenya). They don't always start at the same time, and sometimes they don't start at all. If they do it doesn't tend to rain all day or even every day, but tends to be torrential showers, mainly between late afternoon and early morning. As always the rain can be very localised.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
10. Re: Mombasa Weather Report

Today was mainly sunny and hot but with fleeting cloud cover, which was ideal as I was playing golf up on Vipingo Ridge with Westwoodboy (it was his birthday) and we were playing during the hottest hours of the day. so the odd bit of cloud cover and the breeze up there was most welcome. In fact on the holes that are right on top of the ridge the breeze was so stiong it blew my hat off