We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
reviews: 11
Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

Hi

I have read that you can get visa at Mombassa airport but I just wanted to see if this is still correct as many other postings are a few years old...I have emailed KHC and had no response and can't get through on the phone. Also am I correct in thinking that my 11 and 13 year olds won't need one?

Thanks

London, United...
1. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

Oxshott,

Yes they are still available upon arrival.

Sadly, the kids need them too nowadays.

I would download the Forms and complete them in advance though.

kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/images/pd…

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
2. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

HI,

You can definitely get them at the airport but I'm afraid as from 1st July all children need visas. They reverted to the old prices then, I'm also afraid the price reverted to $50 or £30 at the same time.

You can save yourself some time and hassle by downloading the form, printing and completing at home

kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/visaspass…

Edit: Oops! posting at same time

Edited: 6:05 am, July 27, 2011
London, United...
3. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

Doff,

I was up early this morning, so am more awake than usual!

reviews: 1
4. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

Could I ask a follow up question, what is the best currency to bring for the visa, pound sterling, American dollars or something else?

Also, are American dollars widely acceptable or should I stick to local currency?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
5. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

HI,

I'm assuming you are British as you mention sterling, if you fly directly into Mombasa you can always pay in sterling, they always accept it there, and since the prices reverted to the old higher prices on July 1st there is no longer any monetary benefit in paying in dollars as $50 is around £31.50.

If you are entering via Nairobi they usually accept sterling but very occasionally they insist on dollars, if you want to be totally safe take dollars to cater for this, but if you only took pounds and hit one of those days you can still go to a forex to get dollars before joining the queue.

For day to day expenses you will need Kenyan shillings, either take pounds and change them for shillings here, at a forex preferably, or failing that a bank, but never at your hotel. Or just bring your bank card and take money out of ATMs as and when you need it, just tell your bank you will be using it here so they don't suspect fraud and put a stop on it.

(as a European if you buy dollars you pay twice, when you buy them and then when you use them, even if a place or company here accepts them they will do so at their own exchange rate which will not be the best)

Fredrikstad, Norway
reviews: 3
6. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

That is correct. You can obtain a Visa at the airport and your children will also need visa. And as for the currency, Dollar and pounds are widely accepted in Kenya. Yet I would recommend Dollar when going for a Safari because the rate you will get while in Kenya either at the hotel, airport or by the gate entry is quite low.

Edited: 7:06 am, July 31, 2011
Bracknell, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

Hi is this the same document you will get on the plane when you fly into Mombasa

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
8. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

Hi LeeHarvey,

If you are flying direct into Mombasa on a holiday company charter, they will hand out the visa forms together with Arrival Cards on the plane. If you want to fill the visa form in at your leisure and in comfort download it from here and fill it in before you go.

kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/visaspass…

CasaMombasa,

<< Yet I would recommend Dollar when going for a Safari because the rate you will get while in Kenya either at the hotel, airport or by the gate entry is quite low.>>

I don't understand quite what you are trying to say here, but it makes no sense at all for a British person, or someone from the Euro Zone to buy dollars to come to Kenya, it means they pay twice, especially as whilst many places accept dollars they do so at a very poor exchange rate (and if they accept dollars they will accept pounds or euros as well)

Wirral
reviews: 23
9. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

Hi,

Do the forms at home because if you are a family theres a hell of alot to fill in along with your arrival card. Some families didn't and it takes ages. No problems getting it at airport, straight forward.

Norwich
10. Re: Can you definitely still obtain a visa at the airport?

Hi everyone,

I am happy that you can still obtain a single entry visa with cash at Mombasa Airport but could anyone tell me if you are able to obtain a temporary work permit on arrival there?

I contract for a company that will be doing some temporary Oil & Gas work there later in the summer and it would be great if I can just pick up a temporary work permit on my arrival at Mombasa.

Any info would be gratefully received. Thank you.