We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
essex uk
reviews: 5
African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

Just got back from Kenya trip with African safari Club. The actual holiday was ok - but would not rush back there especially through AFRICAN SAFARI CLUB. BEWARE BEWARE of travelling with this company. on the way out they let you have 23kilos of luggage allowance and 3 kilos of hand luggage. On the way back they do not allow anymore than 23kilos IN TOTAL and absolutely everyone gets stung on the way home for at least ������25 excess baggage. they will not give you your boarding pass until you pay. this is an outrage and you cant get out of it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Met some really nice people though. Feel free to email me for more info if you are going and want any info.. lillie1967@yahoo.co.uk

uk
reviews: 1
11. Re: African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

Totally agree with bigbren & new-butcher - ASC go out of their way to make the luggage allowance clear before travelling - as lillie99 said he/she 'assumed' allowance would be the same on way back - this is not a scam on ASC's part. We loved our trip - the ship, hotel and most of all our fellow cruisers and the Kenyan people who were just fantastic and really made our holiday - its a beautiful country and we hope to return to Kenya one day.

North East England
reviews: 11
12. Re: African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

All airlines must be doing the excess baggage thing. we went to Jamaica in Jan and going out it cost us £40 as our cases were 5kg over but we only had one hand set of hand luggage. (£8 a kg) (1st Choice is 20kg per person and 5kg per person hand baggage)coming back they tried to charge us again, baring in mind we had no toiletries and we had bought no extras. we go to Kenya at Xmas and will be very careful with the weight which is a shame as my partner is wanting to take old tshirts and shirts for the locals.

Qualicum Beach...
reviews: 50
13. Re: African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

On another forum, someone suggested that on your return home, you donate some of your clothing to the underprivileged people in Africa to save on the weight of your luggage. I mean, really, do any of us HAVE to have that old pair of jeans?? or those old T-shirts? Its a win-win if you leave them in Africa! If you've read the book, leave it there...I think we in the first world get too attached to "stuff".

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
14. Re: African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

We have travelled with AFC, for 4yrs and they have always allowed , on request , a very generous allowance of 20kg. but its quite right to say that they are very strict coming back . You can also get quite a cheap upgrade out of season. this will give you 33kg or 43kg. I have mentioned before in another post to buy your larger items eg, Giraffes, rhino`s etc, at the airport. you can barterwith the shopkeepers and then you take it straight on the airplane.

ED

Qualicum Beach...
reviews: 50
15. Re: African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

Don't they weigh your carry-on as well though?

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
16. Re: African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

moreaine8,

after you have checked your main luggage in downstairs, then you proceed upstairs for immigration, you are in the departure lounge where you will find all the duty free shops. You are free to buy< almost anything> then take it on the plane. oh yes, the goods are in euro`s which at the moment are a good exchange rate.

ED

s.wales
reviews: 1
17. Re: African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

went to mombasa in january travelled with first choice,the couple in front were asked for £60 as they had to much luggage they only had a debit card and the cash point wasn't open they told them as we are travelling with first choice give me an invoice and i willpay it to first choice when i get back to london.they let them through without paying and no invoice.

Teesside, England
reviews: 42
18. Re: African Safari Club - beware of con for excess baggage

Just to clarify the luggage allowance on African Safari Club flights.

Their "General Information" brochure CLEARLY states, and I quote, "Total Allowance (inc. Hand Luggage) 23 kg.

lillie99 - You got it totally wrong, read the brochure.