We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to mombasa by train from nairobi

Which Mombasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 8
travel to mombasa by train from nairobi

hullo, has anyone ever travelled by train to mombasa from nairobi? i will be in nairobi in early june and would like the experience of a train ride to mombasa. if you have any tips, suggestions, or comments please let me know. thank you.

Lancaster
reviews: 5
1. Re: travel to mombasa by train from nairobi

The train is o.k, but takes ages, the Akamba bus is... well different, only takes 8 hours and goes through Voi which is where some safaris start, we used to do every weekend when we lived out there. If you do go by train then get into a matatu(public minibus) that goes to Nairobi train station, alot of buses do go there eventually, ensure you have your wits about you around the train station, generally it is o.k but at night it isn't really the safest place to be. The trains are not regular so unless you want to wait for hours and hours make sure you get the times right.

steve

belgium
2. Re: travel to mombasa by train from nairobi

On this site you will find all the information you need.

http://www.eastafricashuttles.com/train.htm

london
reviews: 1
3. Re: travel to mombasa by train from nairobi

the train from Nairobi to Mombasa is an exciting plus adventurous journey.You do get meals on the train too,though i would recommend you take your own food.Lately they have been no lights in the train,but they do provide you with candles and emergency lamps,All in all a very exciting journey if you are in a group.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
reviews: 45
4. Re: travel to mombasa by train from nairobi

For the train it is a special expirence.

When planing please note the train does not go every Day

from Nairobi to Mombasa or otherway.

1. class has 2 bed cabin Kes. 3000/-- p. Person

2. Class has 4 bed cabin Kes. 2200/-- p Person

incl. Bedding, Dinner & Breakfast.

Almaden,California
5. Re: travel to mombasa by train from nairobi

I know I am responding to a post from several months back..Regarding travel from Nairobi to Mombasa by Akamba Bus. I actually would get off in Voi for Tsavo, thus returning the same way. Does anyone know where I might find timetables for departures, arrivals, besides calling the number? Also, would this form of transport be recommended for a young woman travelling alone (is it realitively safe)? Thank you!