We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basecamp Masai Mara and Keekorok Lodge which camp to choose

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sweden
Basecamp Masai Mara and Keekorok Lodge which camp to choose

I am going to Masai Mara with a college for 4 days and have gotten an offer on stay both at Basecamp Masai Mara and Keekorok Lodge. Could someone with experience from these places guide me on which of these I should choose?

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Basecamp Masai Mara and Keekorok Lodge which camp to choose

I've visited but not stayed at Basecamp. It's positioned along the Talek River just outside the Talek gate of the Mara reserve. The camp is well laid out with approx 15 tents. Some tents overlook the river and others are more set back. It's also a very eco-friendly camp.

I have some photos of Basecamp in this album (starts with #19):

www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp…

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 145
2. Re: Basecamp Masai Mara and Keekorok Lodge which camp to choose

We stayed in Basecamp Masai for 3 nights as part of a 8 day safari trip in Kenya in December 2006. We didn't choose the camp but it was organised by Basecamp explorer (the parent company).

The camp is located just outside the park, however bear in mind that as park is not fenced animals can move freely. In fact, its proximity to the river make it a popular spot for hippos, leopards and crocodiles.

Although called a 'camp' it is more of a lodge, offering the best of both worlds: nice comfortable rooms with the wild experience.

The canvas tents are very spacious and comfortable, decorated with local motifs and materials (wood, rugs, wooven baskets) and all have balconies/terraces where you can sit and enjoy the view - some over the river.

It is an 'ecological' camp, running with solar power and recycling waste, which is a great idea and doesn't undermine in the slightest the 'comfort factor' - you even get the luxury of hot water!

Also, they are very commited to local projects (such as tree plantation, community facilities) which if genuine is a great initiative and hopefully will leave something for the local people/environment.

The food was very good and the service excellent. They were very relaxed and guide-friendly.

Don't know the other Lodge but I can definitely recommend Basecamp.

3. Re: Basecamp Masai Mara and Keekorok Lodge which camp to choose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 20, 2009