We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 4
Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

I have the time to do 3 game drives in either Lake Nakuru or Masaai Mara, but it would be much more expensive to go to the Massai Mara. Is it worth it? Thanks!

30 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

The Mara is much better for Game viewing, but equally far. It takes 6 he's to get there, on some pretty bad roads. On the other hand, Nakuru is only 3 hrs drive on very good tarmac roads. Different completely landscape settings. If you're pressed for time, head out to the Nakuru.

Cape Town Central...
2. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

Masai Mara it is, this game reserve can only be compared by Samburu game reserve where you can see members of big five animals easily, have been in Lake Nakuru but i didn't get animal view part from giraffe, rhino and some antelope. You better choose Masai Mara

Edited: 12:50 pm, March 06, 2014
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
3. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

There are no rhino in the Maasai Mara that can be easily seen. You can rule out that member of the Big 5 from a visit to the Mara.

jbbw21 - when you say you have "time to do 3 game drives", you mean you have an evening, a morning and another evening? I just wouldn't bother with Lake Nakuru for the moment while it's environmental troubles continue. If it's too expensive for you to get to the Mara ($300 round trip flight), then go to Nairobi National Park instead. You'll really will see all the Big Five there (if you count the baby elephants at the DSWT elephant orphanage - there are no wild elephants in the park) and you can do a 2 or 3-hour visit for not much than $100.

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Miami, Florida
reviews: 4
4. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

Thanks so much for the info. I think it's an one morning and two afternoons. On top of that we're going to the elephant orphanage, but not game driving around the Nairobi National Park, so I guess we'd be lucky to see the big 5 there. I didn't realize there were no rhinos in the Masaai Mara. I guess you can't have it all! Maybe we'll be able to squeeze in a bit of a game drive when we go visit the elephant orphanage... Thank you very much!

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 1
5. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

There ARE rhino in the Mara. Without giving any exact locations (due to possible poaching) last Sept we saw nine different rhinos in one sighting. They were all around us - three together and the rest spread out. This was definitely a first for me as I have been visiting the Mara since 1995. It's not a zoo so you take your chances in seeing them and of course the elusive leopard. I have never been to Lake Nakuru so I can't comment on that location. But the Mara is my choice!

Mombasa ,kenya
6. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

All of them are good and various species that the other doesnt have, as for L.nakuru there are flamingos and wilderbeast migration for mara so it lies with your interests but i

would prefer mara so as to view the migration .

Edited: 9:07 am, March 07, 2014
Preston, United...
reviews: 7
7. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

for me it would have to be nakuru . we did see a rhino in the mara but nakuru has loads and hippos .lions ,colombus monkeys hyenas and the most fantastic lake which sadly has a lot of flooding at the time we were there .hundred of birds,

richard is there other problems in nakuru i know the water is dilluted so only a few flamingos .i love the place and hope to go back again.

was cold in the mornings in febuary .

julie

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
8. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

Mara Luvr, I'm in *awe* that you saw nine black rhinos in one sighting in the Mara - very unusual indeed, and particularly so for this normally solitary species. Would you mind sending me a private message to tell me where this was? I haven't seen a rhino in the Mara since the late 1980s.

juliekarl41, I was referring to the rising lake levels and massive flooding of some of the park roads. Glad you like it there so much - I should keep trying to like it more!

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Edited: 7:13 pm, March 07, 2014
9. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:34 am, May 06, 2014

nyc
10. Re: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?

There is a small rhino sanctuary up north in the Mara not far from the Saruni or Richard's Camp. And we did manage to see the tail-end of a rhino down near Sala's Camp, not far from the Ashnil Camp.

But if you only have 1/full day... unless you fly in/out of the Mara, there is still no guarantee of rhino... you'll see more game in the Mara than if at Nakuru

Reply to: Better game drive- Masaai Mara or Lake Nakuru in September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...