We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 4
Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

Hi all,

For our suggested stay in the Maasai Mara, Explorer Kenya has suggested for us to stay at Mara Crossings tented camp. I can't find any indepedent info/reviews on it at all but it looks decent enough and supposedly situated by the Mara river:

http://maracrossingscamp.com/

Has anyone been there before or know anything about it? Should I chance using this camp or try an more established one?

Thanks!

Wilfred

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
1. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

Hi Wilfred.

This is one of the camps that is questionable, because it is located smack bang in the middle of two crossing points. From an environment point of view, many of the local guides have been wondering how they were able to set up a camp in a migratory corridor. Their website says "Well used animal trails meander between 8 spacious, ensuite safari tents"

Unfortunately too many camps have been built in the Mara then the environment can sustain.

On paper it looks good. I personally would not support it due to its location.

RWA

China
reviews: 3
2. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

Hi Wilfred,

Our tour operator also suggested staying at a new camp -- Mara crossings camp and I guess the camp should be fine. Here is the additional information for your consideration:

safariafricaguide.com/masai-mara-lodges-and-…

Have a nice trip.

Nairobi, Nairobi...
3. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

what kind of a camp would you wish to stay , there several in mara depending on ones budget. mara porini is a luxurious camp site , manyatta camps is a standard camp so it depends with your budget . you can explore more and compare .thanks

Earth
reviews: 126
4. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

Has anyone confirmed that this camp actually exists? There continues to be nothing written about it as an independent reference. Recently, one Nairobi travel group refused to book it because it could not be verified internally. Any information helpful. Web page looks pretty nice but don't want to get scammed.

Thanks

nyc
5. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

Can't advise about this specific camp, but if you don't find reviews or comments regarding it... know there are plenty of other camps from which to select. If your gut is telling you it's not a good choice for whatever reason, look elsewhere. Don't knock yourself out about it.

Earth
6. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

I'm late. Everything else, I am told, is booked!

Mombasa, Kenya
7. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

I do not know anythnb about this particular place but have a look at priperties in Mara on this website

http://www.maasaimara.com/accommodation

You can look there by location, budget, type.

I am sure something will have space. When are you travelling?

Good luck!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Earth
8. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

@Tijara_Beach

Great web site. Thanks for sharing.

China
9. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

Hi,

Some people said that it is a new camp and that's why there is not much comment or review.

Earth
10. Re: Mara Crossings tented camp - anyone heard of it?

Confirming Mara Crossings is a new camp, opened July 2012. Owned by the same company that owns Flamingo Hill Luxury Tented Camp in Lake Nakuru National Park, which has a TA #1 ranking for that park.

Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...