We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

After much faffing I have decided to book a safari to the Masai Mara in August. I will only be visiting MM.

At present my safari operator has reserved accommodation at Fig Tree Camp but he is also able to check availability at Mara Sarova, Mara Simba and Keekorok.

Should we try for one if the others or is Fig Tree a good luxury option??

Any thoughts appreciated!!

1. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
London, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

We will be there for 5 nights...

London, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

I lie. 4 nights, 5 days.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 posts
1 review
4. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

Check out the properties listed on www.maasaimaraconservancies.com/

These conservancies offer low tourism densities, great day and night game viewing and cultural experiences. Within these conservancies there is a maximum of one tent per 700 acres! There is a wide choice of excellent camps and lodges to choose from and conservancy fees are ploughed back into the community and conservation projects. My advice would be to avoid the National Reserve, you will see more minibuses than wildebeest!

Hope you have a great trip!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

Have a look @ Mara Sopa, given its' location in the park & it's hospitality, it's value fo money.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
977 posts
181 reviews
6. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

Keekorok is a lodge, whereas Fig Tree is tented accommodation. I love Keekorok, but it is large, lots of tour groups. Be clear on what you want. SOme people feel having tented accommodation is more genuine.

Since you have FOUR nights (great!) I woudl suggest two in one area, tow in another accommodation at a different part of the Mara!!

China
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

Hi,

It is really a trade-off between nature and "convenient" location like Keerorok lodge. I am also looking for some accommodation in Masai Mara in end July. Does any body know that if we stay a little bit away from the centre of the park, i.e. tents that are outside the park, does it make us more difficult to see the migration? Yon know, seeing the migration is the most important part of my Kenya journey.

Thanks.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
977 posts
181 reviews
8. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

Panda, know that the exact dates of the migration are unpredictable!!

I was tehr ein August. NOt five minutes drive from Keekorok, were thousands and thousands of wildebeest and zebra on the migratory path.

then, I stayed at Mara Serena, which in in a different part of the Mara (The Mara Triangle). A spectacular location like no other, on a high hill, looking down at the Mara River, and one of the major crossing points.

Since you are rom China, it may be important to you that there were many Chinese tourists at Keekorok Lodge. They were great fun to talk with .

Next time, I'd like to stay in a tented accommodatin, for a change--NOT becuse i want quite happy with the lodges.

China
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

Thanks for your reply. I am from Hong Kong and we have a different culture from Chinese from the Mainland. I prefer a tranquil environment and enjoy my independent trip .

I also want to stay at Mara Senera but it is already fully booked. It seems to me that if the tent is far away from the river, it is really more difficult to see the 'unpredictable" migration -- I heard from people that there is a long quene of vans going into the park and it certainly wastes time.

Thanks.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
977 posts
181 reviews
10. Re: Which Masai Mara lodge/camp?

Panda, good luck! Which lodges or camps has your tour agent recommended?