We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
139 posts
Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

My girlfriend and I are are considering 5-6 nights in the Masai Mara and the options are endless!! I do realize that you "get what you pay for", but I want to find a place that invests their money in the game drive over everything else. We'd like to stay in a tent camp, but I think an overland trip may be a bit rustic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Would ~$250USD/person/nt all inclusive (room, meals, game drive) be attainable? We want a great experience and a clean place to rest our head at night. Thank you!

Also, how much would a beer cost in camp? Just curious...

Level Contributor
14,030 posts
1. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Last question first - less than you pay in Phoenix, by half minimum.

When are you traveling? Prices are seasonal.

Park fees, depending on where camp located can range between $70-100/pp daily; if driving to/from the Mara the guide/vehicle can range from $100-$125/pp/nt. If flying to/from NBO/Mara, the return fare is about $325-350/pp. Doesn't leave much for a roof/canvas over your head including game drives.

Guess you'll have to contact a few outfitters for quotes and then compare. There are a number of oft recommended in-country outfitters mentioned here on TA or check www.katokenya.org for names.

Level Contributor
139 posts
2. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Thank you 4Sandi. We are looking at going the last week of June to save some money. Intrepids is almost $4000USD less going that week vs. the first week of July! Beer prices vary in Phoenix, but would you say ~$2 a beer in camp? As I'm sure like many people here, we're trying to find that diamond in the rough which provides clean accomodations and great game drive experiences. I don't need all the luxuries, just a modest place to rest my head, food that's not extravagant, and a beer. Only to wake up the next day and experience another unforgettable day in the Maasai Mara! Is that too much to ask?!? =D

Level Contributor
1,270 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Tusker beer was approx KES 330 at the Serena and Sarova Lodges recently. From memory, that seems to be the approx rate for beer and entry level alcoholic drinks. Water was around KES 270 to 300 per litre.

Exchange rate was approx 80 KES per USD for 'new' notes and approx 75 KES per USD for 'old' notes.

- Jyoti

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

If you are traveling in early June I think you can still get low season rates at Mara Eden or at Oltome. On a game package basis I think you can be around your $250 budget. Oltome also does have a package that includes the ground transportation between Nairobi and the camp. Once you add in park fees it may take you just over your budget.

Edited: 4:41 pm, April 19, 2013
Level Contributor
139 posts
5. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Thanks for the prices on beer/water. Looks like beer is a little more expensive than here in Phoenix and 3-4 times more for water. That's a shame. I was hoping for "half price" beers, but it looks like $4 a bottle.

bdj108, I'll look into those other camps too. Thank you

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
164 reviews
6. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Mara Intrepids is a great camp and they invest heavily in their vehicles. All their guides are excellent. A 500ml beer is Kshs 300 - US$3.50. Remember that it has to be transported from Nairobi, and electricity is run by generator.

Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Have stayed in both Intrepids and Mara Eden and enjoyed both, but my personal preference is Mara Eden for the individual, special treatment we were given there. I think this relates to the fact that the couple who manage it care with a passion about their clients and seem to leave no stone unturned to make sure that they do everything possible to make you want to come again.

Intrepids seemed more commercial and crowded to me but each in their own way have something to offer

The manageress at Mara Eden was herself a trained ranger, whilst the manager is also a top chef.

Both have direct access across the river into the park and are excellent for game drives in my experience.

Level Contributor
139 posts
8. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Roadwarrior, if the beers are 500ml for that price, it's more than fair. I was thinking 300ml bottle for 300kshs. Regardless, it won't stop us from enjoying a beverage or 3 (or 5) daily!! =D

Canary, as of now, we are leaning towards Intrepid. Eden looks like a great place to stay. but Intrepid is a bit less expensive, and unfortunately, money wins out here. We wish we had more money to spend more time there!

Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Encounter Mara will offer you the price you are looking for in June and it's a whole different level to Intrepids. Check out their web site. You can book direct with them if you like. Say Paul sent you - won't do you any good but it might get me a bottle of bubbly in my tent when I go...... Or another Paul will! ;-)

And since your beers and everything else will be included in the price you do not need to ask. Trips into the reserve will be charged extra but you can start another thread to ask about that. I think you will find even with that it is within budget but do the sums yourself.

Rockford, Michigan
3 posts
10. Re: Modest Tent Camp in Maasai Mara

Would a 200mm camera lens be enough range for close up shots on a Kenya guided safari?

Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...