We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal flights.

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Internal flights.

Hello again.

Have booked and paid our deposit with Gold medal, essence of Africa tour. We didnt check to losely the Itinary .... most of it is fine, however, we have found on a closer look we have to drive

on a tour bus from Mara back to Nairobi.

Asked our t.a could we fly ? but shes has said the people she is dealing with in Nairobi are not replying to her calls/emails. Dont mind paying the extra, can I book this flight myself?

If we do the overland route, how long is it timewise? does the bus stop? if so how often? Seems to me the t.a has had the deposit and isnt to interested in what happens now.

The holiday is booked first ten days in August.

18 replies to this topic
London, United...
1. Re: Internal flights.

Biggs,

By road you are looking at a pretty rough 6/7 hours, and as I have never used the bus have no idea if it stops?!

Of course you can book a flight yourself, tend to use these guys, when nipping around by air:

http://www.flysafarilink.com/

The issue will be getting to the air-head, depending on where you are in the Mara and then from Wilson to your Hotel. Nothing that would end the world, but do keep that in mind.

Will be there around the same time actually, so if I hear a Manc accent, I may slap you on the back and say hello!

GJ

London, United...
2. Re: Internal flights.

Biggs,

Whoops..........alternative is:

http://www.airkenya.com/

however, I have never used them personally.

GJ

manchester
3. Re: Internal flights.

Thanks for that GJ.. we have to pick a flight up at JKA for another flight to Diana south beach, the two travel co you mention seem fly only to Wilson?

London, United...
4. Re: Internal flights.

Biggs,

Sorry chap, I didn't realise! Jomo is mainly the International and 'larger flights' to the Coast, I have never known anything out of the Safari locations to go into Jomo, there again, I have never actually looked at that myself!

Given timings are everything when flying, if may help to know what time you need to be at Jomo, as Wilson then a taxi to Jomo may be an option.

The other alternative is to fly Mara to MBA (www.mombasaairsafari.com) may help?! Still leaves you with the issue of getting to DSB!?

Only other thought would be Mara to Ukanda, no idea who runs that as a route, but you you could try Wings Over Africa?!

Now I know why I driver myself everywhere!!

GJ

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 45
5. Re: Internal flights.

Mombasa Air Safaris fly from various airstrips in the Mara to Diani (Ukunda) though I seem to remember they touch down in Mombasa first

Nairobi
6. Re: Internal flights.

The best plan would be to let your tour operator arrange the internal flights as well, they will be in a better position to know the timings and proper airstrip to land at in the mara and cordinate transfers accordingly.

This will give you relaxed a holiday since all logistics will be dealt with from one source, bluesky also fly to mara from mombasa and back.

All the best

Allan

manchester
7. Re: Internal flights.

Thanks for your replys..... Allan, our t.a has told me she cannot get a reply re the flights from the t.o in Nairobi, thats why I am considering doing it myself.

Like I said they have had a near £3000 deposit already, and that makes us tied to holiday.

having said that, everythings fine with the itinary apart from the flight from Mara to Nairobi.

nyc
8. Re: Internal flights.

... if your Travel Agent isn't get a reply to emails to the Tour Operator in Kenya tell your TA to call them. Otherwise, just bombard your TA with emails daily. You aren't traveling till Aug so have a bit of time to work on them. Besides you have to know when, if driving, you'd arrive NBO and then time for flight departure out of JKIA to the coast. You can't just guess at this. Have your TA 'work for you.'

Mombasa, Kenya
9. Re: Internal flights.

Just a small note. Mombasa Air Safaris flies on the following route from Mara to the coast:

Mara (they hop to a few airstrips) - Ukunda/Diani - Momasa.

I also find it a little strange that TA gives you an excuse of not getting emails replied. They either have to phone them as Sandi said or, frankly, it is a wrong TO they are dealing with! What if something happens and some info has to be urgently sent to you or they need from here?

I hope though that it is only a simple communication issue and you will get all the replies ASAP from all parties.

Have a very nice trip,

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi
reviews: 147
10. Re: Internal flights.

there are internal flights..

check on www.flysafarilink.com

Reply to: Internal flights.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted