We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

Hello Mara Experts,

My fiancé and I are planning a safari that will include 3 days in the Mara during the 1st week of September, 2014. We’d like to stay at a nice tented camp preferably on a river. We've looked at Olonana, Rekero, Elephant Pepper and Mara Plains and they all look very nice and not too large. Which of these camps (or another?) is in a good location for game viewing, and closest to a crossing point where we would have the best chance at seeing one in Sept? Any particular advantages/disadvantages of these camps?

Thanks so much for your advice

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 143
1. Re: Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

Rekero has a mini crossing point in front of the camp (around 600m away), and is not a far drive to the main crossing points.

somerset
reviews: 6
2. Re: Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

Hi,

Governors main camp is right on the river and does have crossings throughout the migration. As ever tho there are never any guarantees in regards to seeing one!

Try not to get fixated about seeing a crossing as there is so much else to experience.

Han

nyc
3. Re: Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

Agree with #2 above, don't bet your visit on seeing a river crossing as there is no guarantee. If you see, you see; if not so much more to experience.

Granted this is for 2014, and though you asked for 'nice' - have you set a budget?

These camps run in the price range of $700-800+/person/nt at rack rates, with EPC a bit less... though agent should be able to quote a somewhat lower contract rate. There's also the air to/from the Mara in the range of $350/pp return.

Where else will you be traveling besides the Mara?

Atlanta
4. Re: Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

Sandi, our budget is flexible and it will accommodate a few days at that higher rate so we are good there. Almost 3 weeks ago we provided our itinerary to 6 TOs and asked for a quote, 5 responded back very quickly, within one to several days. The 6th one we never heard from. All the TOs were highly recommended by people on this site. We didn't provide a budget, but just the parks we wanted visit, the # of days at each, how we wanted to travel between camps, and the type of camp we wanted. Some asked for a budget, others just provided a quote with their proposed lodgings. We've looked at all the TOs proposed camps, plus others we saw recommended on TA, and decided which ones we liked, some of which weren't on any TOs' proposal. It was relatively easy to select our preferred camps at all the other locations except for the Masai Mara. There are just too many there to evaluate and so many opposing opinions. We do know that a crossing is never guaranteed and we'd be lucky if we got to see one, we just want to position ourselves in a camp that is close to a crossing to increase our chances of getting to it if it does occur.

I'm not entirely sure I'm going about this the right way, but my plan is at this point to decide which camps we want to stay at and ask each of the TOs who responded to our request to update their Proposal. Then we'll be able to compare the quotes.

Our 14 day Safari itinerary, most of which is in Tanzania which is why I didn't mention it before on the Kenya forum..but since you asked... After arrival in Nairobi and ON, we'll fly to Amboselli for 2 ON, then fly to Masai Mara for 3 ON. Then we fly to Arusha and will drive from there. First to Tanangire for 3 ON, Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater for 1 ON each and then on to the Serengeti for 4 ON before flying back to Arusha. Yes, I know this is aggressive but we're aggressive travelers and want to cover as much as we can with the time allotted.

So back to my original question, roadwarriorafrica suggested Rekero, and hanf246 suggested Governors main. Are there any other suggestions on which camp we should stay at in the Mara?

nyc
5. Re: Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

Overall very nice itinerary.

Of the 4 you show, only Rekero is inside the Reserve. Olonana is outside the Triangle section of the Reserve to the West; Elephant Pepper is located a bit north of the Reserve on the Mara North conservancy, where Mara Plains (recently completely refurbished), also a bit northeast (by 5/min) from the Reserve on the Olare Orok conservancy. None of those outside and/or on conservancies are far from any of the crossing points.

Other than those named above - there's Explorer and then Naibor Camps to consider.

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 129
6. Re: Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

We always stay at Little Governor's which is DEFINITELY in the reserve & right on the river. It's not just what you see during the day that's exciting here, having giraffes & hippos sleeping against the side of your tent is quite exciting! Best of all was being trapped in the bar when 5 ellies came into the camp for supper!

We saw our only crossing within 400 metres of the camp on our 2nd visit 2 years ago but we were really lucky to be in the right place at the right time. If you don't see one it won't spoil your safari experience I can assure you.

Edited: 2:01 am, April 20, 2013
Atlanta
7. Re: Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

Thanks, everyone for your advice. It is much appreciated

8. Re: Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, April 26, 2013
9. Re: Tented camp on river near crossing point in Sept?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...