We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Way up North, USA
reviews: 2
pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

If you had your pick of week to stay at Little Governors during the migration in 2013, which would you choose? I was thinking the 3rd week of August, but now am thinking to maybe go a week earlier or maybe even earlier than that. I know it's guess, but I want to make a decent guess! Thanks in advance!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

I would pick from week 3 August to week 2 September.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

W/c 17th August 2013

Way up North, USA
3. Re: pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reviews: 27
4. Re: pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

I dunno, but I saw everything and was in the Mara area the last week in September.

Nairobi, Kenya
5. Re: pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

Any time in the month of August will be perfect for you...Just book your accommodation early in advance because it is crazy during this time as guests are so many in the Masai Mara...

nyc
6. Re: pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

Anytime in August would be ideal. Other than that, no one can assure you of an exact date/week.

Sept is also good and though this year some of the herds commenced return to the Serengeti due to early rains, but once these stopped the herds turned back to the Mara. And while the herds often arrive in the Mara by mid-July, during the two prior years, they arrived in early-June and stayed well into October. Rain, new grass, the wildies move north or south.

As is obvious, wildies move on their own schedule, not ours... so it's a guess.

Allentown...
7. Re: pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

If I recollect correctly, the migration crossings in 2012 started early early August so anytime in between August through October are great times. I have been to Mara several times, and once in Oct and got to see a crossing and thousands of wildebeest in the Mara.

There is no timetable. You could be there early, mid or late August, Sep or Oct and still miss crossings within a span of 2-3 nights stay but still see migration resident in the Mara. A good bet for maximal river crossing opportunities would be late August. The crossing is only one part of the migration experiences in the Mara. There are other striking predator-prey interactions in the Mara once the migration has arrived or arriving. That is the best part of it.

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Edited: 6:25 am, December 18, 2012
8. Re: pick a week for 2013 for migration at Little Governors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Maasai Mara National...