We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

Which Maasai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marden, United...
reviews: 18
Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

Apart from Governors Camp, are there any other lodges/camps in the Masai Mara that are unfenced so that animals can wander around? Also,is there anywhere to charge camera batteries etc. at Governors as the tents have no electricity?

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 69
1. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

At Governors you hand in your camera or video recorder along with your charger at the reception desk and they will charge it up for you.

Marden, United...
2. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

Thanks very much Bruce596. Your replies are always really helpful. We are still trying to decide on itinerary for March 2007. If we are doing the Masai Mara again we are thinking of 1 night Nairobi - 3 nights Shaba - 2 nights Sweetwaters - 1 night Naivasha - 4 nights Masai Mara. Any idea if this would work or would the distance between Sweetwaters/Naivasha/Masai Mara be too great (we will be driving rather than flying as we consider this an enjoyable part of the holiday). On the map the distances don't seem too different to the distances we travelled on the Somak Masai Safari but we all know what the Kenyan roads are like!

On the other hand we might revert to the Tsavo idea and have to rethink!

Thanks again.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 69
3. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

It is possible to do the drive from Sweetwaters to Naivasha and then on to the Mara but it is a lot of driving. I too enjoy driving between locations and taking in the scenery but that drive from either Naivasha or Nakuru is not at all enjoyable especially heading towards Narok and then on to the Masai Mara. If I were planning the same trip as you I would drive from Nairobi to Mountain Lodge then on to Shaba and then back to Sweetwaters. From Sweetwaters I would fly from Nanuki airstrip to the Masai Mara.

Kolb��ck
4. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

Hi rosesteve,

In the Mara I’ve stayed at Basecamp that was unfenced, but half surrounded by Talek River. I only saw baboons, vervets and mongooses in camp, but was told they’ve had lions, leopards and elephants. I’ve read that Keekorok is unfenced and that Intrepids and Kichwa Tembo are fenced. This is a very interesting question. I don’t like fences at all.

Marden, United...
5. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

Thanks for your replies. Plenty to think about there!

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
6. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

I know for sure that Kicheche and Richard's camp are both unfenced, but they're north of the reserve not near the area where the Governor's camps are located. You might want to inquire about Rekero, Olonana and Serian to see if any of these are unfenced. Ilkeliani is fenced but half of their fence was down when I stayed there last year ;)

Your proposed itinerary has 3 long drives of about 6 hours each, Nairobi-Shaba, Naivasha-Mara, and Mara-Nairobi. You could consider adding one of two flights if that sounds too long. In addition to Bruce's suggestion of flying from Nanyuki to the Mara (but you'd miss Naivasha), you can add a flight from Naivasha to the Mara and/or from the Mara to Nairobi.

Oxford
reviews: 19
7. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

Does anyone know where Ilkeliani is and if it's in a good location? I was supposed to be going to Mara Intrepids next September (yes, 2007!) and apparently it's fully booked! The tour operator is now suggesting Ilkeliani as an alternative.

Is this comparable to Mara Intrepids?

Carmel, California
8. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

Here's a map that will show you the location of Ilkeliani in relation to Mara Intrepids - www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/MasaiMara1.jpg

Ilkeliani is located just outside the Talek gate and about 20 minutes drive from Intrepids. Intrepids has the advantage of being closer to the crossing areas. Ask your tour operator to put you on the waitlist for Intrepids. You still have a lot of time between now and Sep 2007 and there could very well be cancellations.

Good luck!

Carmel, California
9. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

I didn't want to make it to sound like Ilkeliani had a bad location, just that Intrepids is better and if both are within your budget (Intrepids is usually higher), you should keep trying for your first choice. Both camps are situated facing the Talek river with one being inside and the other being just outside the reserve.

I have some photos of Ilkeliani in this album (last camp) if that helps - www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp…

Oxford
reviews: 19
10. Re: Unfenced lodges/camps in Masai Mara

Patty

Many thanks for the info. That's really helpful and it actually looks really nice in your photos however I will still try and get into Intrepids. Strangely Kuoni say that there are vacancies but the company I am booking through say that there aren't!